Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

What a day, full head rebuild 12 years 11 months ago #24120

Finally finished at crazy O'clock last night from 8am

what was supposed to be a bit of a pain engine turned out to be a very bent an total pain of an engine

All 8 exhaust valves bent and 2 inlet valves, amzingly though none had even taken the black coke off the top of the pistons or damaged the valve seats orrrrrrr cracked the guides

The car was a 1996 totally orignal VVC in sparkley BRG, really smart condition too, 52K miles on the clock and had been exported to Japan shortly after the original owner bought it, I've never seen an early VVC with aircon too

Anyway it had never run since before xmas, when the alternator belt went an trashed the timing belt

last night she fired back in to life 2nd turn of the key........1st was when we realised the battery was flat ...lol

The point being alternator belts always get over looked.........if your get a minor service its normally Arrrrrrrrr no mate that in the major service, .....Get a major an its Arrrrrrrrrr no mate thats in a minor.....lol they end up never getting done unless they squeak

For the sake of less than a tenner!!!!!!
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: What a day, full head rebuild 12 years 11 months ago #24122

My alternator belt went so I ordered a cambelt replacment as it was proberbly the original (and very nice man to do it), ended up with 2 new exhaust valves and a new head gasket as well.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: What a day, full head rebuild 12 years 11 months ago #24123

Finally finished at crazy O'clock last night from 8am

what was supposed to be a bit of a pain engine turned out to be a very bent an total pain of an engine

All 8 exhaust valves bent and 2 inlet valves, amzingly though none had even taken the black coke off the top of the pistons or damaged the valve seats orrrrrrr cracked the guides

The car was a 1996 totally orignal VVC in sparkley BRG, really smart condition too, 52K miles on the clock and had been exported to Japan shortly after the original owner bought it, I've never seen an early VVC with aircon too

Anyway it had never run since before xmas, when the alternator belt went an trashed the timing belt

last night she fired back in to life 2nd turn of the key........1st was when we realised the battery was flat ...lol

The point being alternator belts always get over looked.........if your get a minor service its normally Arrrrrrrrr no mate that in the major service, .....Get a major an its Arrrrrrrrrr no mate thats in a minor.....lol they end up never getting done unless they squeak

For the sake of less than a tenner!!!!!!

So you're keeping busy then Jon?

You're so right about the alternator belt, the number of times I read about the belt taking out the cambelt and trashing the engine!:dunno: Worth changing annually for the cost, and it's not that big a job.:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Re: What a day, full head rebuild 12 years 11 months ago #24128

God yeah I seem to be getting enquiries left right an centre

Dead right though we all change water pumps when doing cam belts coz they are cheap, but don't think twice about leaving the alternator belt

And yeah I think I'll start carrying a spare head to swop out......lol don't want to be doing that all in one day again
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Re: What a day, full head rebuild 12 years 11 months ago #24130

God yeah I seem to be getting enquiries left right an centre

Dead right though we all change water pumps when doing cam belts coz they are cheap, but don't think twice about leaving the alternator belt

And yeah I think I'll start carrying a spare head to swop out......lol don't want to be doing that all in one day again

I know Russell carries a spare head, and yeah, time saved will be huge! :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT