Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Re: MOT - Engine Oil temperature. VOSA 12 years 11 months ago #24396

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.

I sorted the oil gauge tonight so will be pointing this out tommorow when I get there.

After a suitably stirring Italian tune up?
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: MOT - Engine Oil temperature. VOSA 12 years 11 months ago #24406

I sorted the oil gauge tonight so will be pointing this out tommorow when I get there.

at 7AM?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: MOT - Engine Oil temperature. VOSA 12 years 11 months ago #24411

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

at 7AM?

Best time? / less traffic!
David

Re: MOT - Engine Oil temperature. VOSA 12 years 11 months ago #24415

It's interesting to hear what you guys have to go through. Where I live we don't have an MOT test as such, just emissions testing.
The testing is carried out by a company contracted by the government which only tests and does not do repairs. They have stand alone facilities and you basically show up at a time of your choosing, drive in and they take the car through a cycle on a rolling road which compares it against the ideal for that year and model. I always try to pick a time of day when they aren't busy and do an Italian tune-up on the way there. The General Manager of the testing company owns MGs so he is very sympathetic to old car owners and even helped the local MG club prepare a web page on tricks to help pass the test!

Re: MOT - Engine Oil temperature. VOSA 12 years 11 months ago #24420

It's interesting to hear what you guys have to go through. Where I live we don't have an MOT test as such, just emissions testing.
The testing is carried out by a company contracted by the government which only tests and does not do repairs. They have stand alone facilities and you basically show up at a time of your choosing, drive in and they take the car through a cycle on a rolling road which compares it against the ideal for that year and model. I always try to pick a time of day when they aren't busy and do an Italian tune-up on the way there. The General Manager of the testing company owns MGs so he is very sympathetic to old car owners and even helped the local MG club prepare a web page on tricks to help pass the test!

We need some of those here. The testers should NOT bypass the oil temprature sensor ~ every time i have a car tested at my local testing station London SW19 (Wimbledon, where the tennis is) they always use the oil temp sensor and run the engine until the temp reaches 80 deg C and then do the test. never had a fail on emissions :nonod:

Re: MOT - Engine Oil temperature. VOSA 12 years 11 months ago #24423

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Wonder how they'll get on with my plasma LED oil gauge which reads under temperature :ohmy:

Re: MOT - Engine Oil temperature. VOSA 12 years 11 months ago #24425

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
The problem, as I see it, is that Vosa doesn't see a problem! :pinch:

I have been told that it is standard practice not to use the oil temp sensor.

I also know that a Vosa Inspector has said that they are aware and are 'keeping an eye on it'.

I don't see why us motorists don't insist that they use the sensor when we take the car to be tested?:shrug:

Having said all that a car, with a cat, properly warmed up should fly through the emmisions tests.
David

Re: MOT - Engine Oil temperature. VOSA 12 years 11 months ago #24430

Wonder how they'll get on with my plasma LED oil gauge which reads under temperature :ohmy:

They should use their temp sensor on their equipment to take the readings before the test (they put the probe in the dipstick hole) :-?

Re: MOT - Engine Oil temperature. VOSA 12 years 11 months ago #24433

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

They should use their temp sensor on their equipment to take the readings before the test (they put the probe in the dipstick hole) :-?

Or:-
Mainly they don't!!!
David

Re: MOT - Engine Oil temperature. VOSA 12 years 11 months ago #24449

Took it back in at 7am, nice and warm, asked him to do it soonish, he rang back 2 hours later and said it's still failing, think you have air locks as the radiator fan isn't coming on as the thermostat isn't opening!

Okay I says, I'll pick it up later and check it out with the guy who did the belts etc, drive 9 miles home tonight, let the car run for a little while, fan kicks in, obviously he didn't test it straight away or at full temp!

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: MOT - Engine Oil temperature. VOSA 12 years 11 months ago #24450

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
Case proved, I think! :rant:
You need to take it to somewhere that's doing free emissions testing, and if it passes, complain to Vosa!
David

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT