Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

My radiator 13 years 4 days ago #23595

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well, as some might know, when car has been driven for a while, there's a strong smell fo coolant form the radiator area. I was worried in case the radiator was leaking so went to change it today.

removed bumper, slam panel etc ready to get it out, but on inspection it looked perfectly healthy. Even all the clips for the fans etc were shiny new (unlike the one from Maggie which had all rusted). Couldn't see any evidence of leaks and all fins etc were intact.

BUT i noticed some dried coolant around the bleed valve....so in the end I aborted the radiator change and just swapped with the MS valve I took form the other ally rad.................we shall see....no doubt I'll have to do it again...

Oh, and top tip. if you top up coolant, before you go off for a drive..........remember to replace the coolant cap :whistle: :ohmy:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: My radiator 13 years 4 days ago #23596

could have been a slight weep from the bleed valve. I've had an MS valve for about a year now, still not fitted it :lol: if it ain't broke and all that ;)
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Re: My radiator 13 years 4 days ago #23601

Have you read this thread ?
A couple of alternatives to the MS kit.
David
:shrug:

Re: My radiator 13 years 3 days ago #23630

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
As you may have seen in another thread, I went on a longish run today (40 miles) and result.....coolant temp lower than normal (never got above 95) and colant level rose in tank, instead of falling./ I am guessing small leak at bleed screw was enough to prevent proper pressurisation of coolant, so higher temp and loss of "volume" under pressure?

still smell, but probably stuff I spilled when i removed old screw

Re: My radiator 13 years 3 days ago #23634

As you may have seen in another thread, I went on a longish run today (40 miles) and result.....coolant temp lower than normal (never got above 95) and colant level rose in tank, instead of falling./ I am guessing small leak at bleed screw was enough to prevent proper pressurisation of coolant, so higher temp and loss of "volume" under pressure?

still smell, but probably stuff I spilled when i removed old screw

It's the sweet smell of success Iain!:rofl:
David
:shrug:

Re: My radiator 13 years 3 days ago #23656

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Rather than the sweet smell of coolant. :huh: