Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Safe Winter Driving 14 years 5 months ago #2261

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ok folks, as well as many of us starting to get cold knobs in the morning, it is that time of year for us to start taking it easy in the mornings etc, when roads are icy. There's usually a spate of crashes around November/December as people find out , especially those that just bought an F/TF in the summer, that RWD and ice/snow is not always a good combination.

Take it easy folks.

It was -8C last night about 20 miles from here, and -3C in the city itself, and we have snow and stuff forecast this weekend. Winter is here finally.

Warning of gales and snow for Aberdeen area
Temperatures plummet to below freezing

THE first glimpse of snow could hit the Aberdeen area as temperatures plummeted below freezing.

As the Aberdeen area woke up to frosty windows and icy roads today, the Met Office said snow and gale-force winds were expected.

Braemar was the coldest place in the country as temperatures dipped to -8C (46F). And in Aberdeen it fell to -3C (26.6F).

So, check your fluids, check your battery etc and most important, check your tyres (treads and pressures).

Take it easy folks.

We don't want any T-bar casualties this winter!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Safe Winter Driving 14 years 5 months ago #2288

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Can I add abut clothing etc.

Carry some boots and a fleec etc or a blanket. Maybe even keep a mars bar or 2 in the car.

I know it sounds drastic, but so many people dress as though they are 100% going to make it to their destination with no problems. Remember, if your car breaks down, so does your heating. There have been people who have died in their cars due to braking down in the cold or getting stuck in snow.

I had to stop once for a young girl who had broken down in the middle of nowhere. It was the middle of winter and all she had was the very short and low cut dress and high heels that she had dressed in to go out to a party. No phone reception either. She just didn't give any thought into what would happen if she broke down.

Since then, I have never worn a short dress and high heels while driving in winter. :dunno:

Safe Winter Driving 14 years 5 months ago #2291

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Carry some boots and a fleec etc or a blanket. Maybe even keep a mars bar or 2 in the car.

I know it sounds drastic, but so many people dress as though they are 100% going to make it to their destination with no problems. Remember, if your car breaks down, so does your heating. There have been people who have died in their cars due to braking down in the cold or getting stuck in snow.

I had to stop once for a young girl who had broken down in the middle of nowhere. It was the middle of winter and all she had was the very short and low cut dress and high heels that she had dressed in to go out to a party. No phone reception either. She just didn't give any thought into what would happen if she broke down.

Since then, I have never worn a short dress and high heels while driving in winter. :dunno:

hahaha. Yeah, when I had my first HGF I had to wait in a freezing car for 45 mins for a recovery vehicle (they were busy due to weather conditions). there was nothing I could do to keep warm.

I now always have a fluorescent thick yellow outside work jacket, and keep gloves and thick socks in teh glove compartment. I tried keeping shoes but they kept going mouldy, so I opted for the socks , kept inside.

I have also broken down in a blizzard (well wasn't a breakdown, just a wiper failure, but as good as in a blizzard). again due to conditions, had to wait ages in car. I could leave engine running so had heat, but I was glad I had some chocolate in my back (out of coincidence), as I was starving, and would recommend it for longer planned winter drives, just in case. I guess it depends where you live too. The road I drive alot in winter I can go for 40-60 miles with no civilisation so a breakdown in the middle is a bit of a pain. of course it helps to make sure your mobile phone is charged before you travel. Again, if you break down, you might not be able to charge it, depending on the problem.

I too do not wear dresses or heels in winter, just in case.

Safe Winter Driving 14 years 5 months ago #2293

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

I too do not wear dresses or heels in winter, just in case.

This must be tip of the week then. :)

I think the problem is nowadays that we get used to the fact that help is normally only minutes away. But in severe weather conditions you can only be a couple of miles away from home and be in real danger if you break down.

Safe Winter Driving 14 years 5 months ago #2331

high viz jacket or vest cos ive never broke down on a well lit road or of a day or when its not raining. perhaps i should just go out in daytime in the summer?

Safe Winter Driving 14 years 5 months ago #2423

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Your right about the vest though.

I think it is best to plan a trip in winter like a mini expedition. When it starts snowing I even have a shovel and bag of rocksalt, just in case.

Safe Winter Driving 14 years 5 months ago #2426

From my observations having done many nights, and early mornings driving in winter, the worst part of the day is just after dawn, it seems to get colder then and ice forms on roads etc. Now I'm retired it doesn't bother me... rarely out on the road before 9 am!

Be careful out there folks.
Older but certainly not wiser!

Safe Winter Driving 14 years 5 months ago #3042

I just received an email from Tesco with some useful winter driving tips so thought I'd post them up here for everyone's benefit. As Broon said take care out there this winter! :thumbsup:

• Check the weather forecast before setting off in your car, particularly if you're taking a long journey. If severe weather is on the cards, it may be worth postponing a long drive or at least making advance preparations for the journey.
  • Make sure you are well equipped for bad weather. Always carry anti–freeze and a torch with you, to ensure visibility at all times. Warm clothes, food and drink could also be useful if you get caught in long delays.
  • Tyre chains are a good investment and can be invaluable during period of snowy weather.
  • Check your tyres are in good condition i.e. the correct pressure and tread.
  • Leave ample time for your journey. Anticipate delays and slower driving speeds and plan accordingly.
  • Days can often be dark and gloomy, so be prepared to use your lights in the daytime.
  • Keep washer fluid topped up at all times, and be careful to add the correct anti-freeze product.
  • Make sure your wiper blades aren't worn.
  • Before setting off, ensure all windows and mirrors are clear and de-misted.
  • Keep a map in your vehicle in case you come across closed roads and diversions.
  • If possible, try to use roads that have been gritted if there is danger of ice.
  • Adjust the way you drive to suit the conditions. If it is wet or icy, drop your speed and give yourself a much larger stopping distance.
  • Make sure you have sufficient car insurance in place so if the worst happens, you have some financial cover.
Good luck everyone and stay safe. :)

Kara

Safe Winter Driving 14 years 5 months ago #3048

I've just noticed Halfords are doing special offers on some items that may come in handy this winter:

Pretty sure if you had all this you could rescue the AA! :lol:

Safe Winter Driving 14 years 5 months ago #3055

Err,does Anne know about this scantily-clad pick-up?
David
:shrug:

Safe Winter Driving 14 years 2 months ago #10892

One little tip dont forget the car mats, (you shouldn't cause they are always under yr feet) can aid grip to tyres along with all of the above should you get yr self into a bit of trouble...........and a flask of tea/coffee if going on a longer journey (extreme weathers). Travelling back last year February from Southampton M3 thick heavy snow; the shovel, car mats etc all worked 5 hours to get home...blimey not bad for the wife, didn't half work up a sweat getting us off the hard shoulder, great coffee though! Hehe.

Safe Winter Driving 14 years 2 months ago #10895

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I actually have some old car mats loose in the back of the van, just for this reason.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT