Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Aftermarket dampers 13 years 3 months ago #21245

Hi all.
I am after some info on aftermarket dampers for my 2002 TF160. Which is almost unstable on these cumbrian roads.

Has anybody any experience of Spax, Blitstens, Protech or any others?. I know this has been covered many times before but I am hoping some new info has come to light.

I dont mind sacrificing a bit of handling for a bit more comfort and dont want to shell out alot of cash to find out they are not what I want.

Thanks in anticipation.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Aftermarket dampers 13 years 3 months ago #21248

Speaking to Chris(quicksilver) yesterday, he recommended Spax Krypton adjustable dampers and progressive springs.
T've seen those dampers online for about £88 a corner. You should be able to get a set of springs for £130-150.

Apparently the initial plan for the MGTF was to have Bilsteins on the car, but lack of money got in the way and the parts bin supplied the dampers.
David
:shrug:

Re: Aftermarket dampers 13 years 3 months ago #21253

Taking my name in vain again David :.)
Chris

Re: Aftermarket dampers 13 years 3 months ago #21254

Chris

Got to get the info somewhere Chris. I drive an F.:lol:

Anything you want to add?
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Aftermarket dampers 13 years 3 months ago #21255

Chris

Got to get the info somewhere Chris. I drive an F.:lol:

Anything you want to add?

Its important to spend time setting the dampers up correctly, make sure you set the rates about half to three quarters of the way up the scale and set your rear dampers two clicks higher then the fronts. If you go for springs as well make sure they are progressive rate (so they stiffen under load) and dont whatever you do go for more then a 10% uprate otherwise you will shake yourself to bits. Bilsteins are a great none adjustable solution but are quite expensive. And please please please get a full 4 wheel alignment done after fitting.
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: Aftermarket dampers 13 years 3 months ago #21258

Oh and another thing dont go for variable ride height coilovers unless you can access scales to accurately balance the corner weights otherwise you risk compromising the handling.

Re: Aftermarket dampers 13 years 3 months ago #21265

Thanks gents, I am heading towards the spax as suggested. I like the idea of being adjustable. (And the price)

I had a spoke to a guy who was testing some for Protech that would be put into production with a suitable spring as a kit, but as usual I have lost his number.

Head gasket failure has got in the way of this project but it is next on the list.

Re: Aftermarket dampers 13 years 3 months ago #21273

Thanks gents, I am heading towards the spax as suggested. I like the idea of being adjustable. (And the price)

I had a spoke to a guy who was testing some for Protech that would be put into production with a suitable spring as a kit, but as usual I have lost his number.

Head gasket failure has got in the way of this project but it is next on the list.

Vehicle Handling Systems supply the Bilsteins as a kit that were designed for the TF to improve the harsh ride and are the ones now fitted as standard to the new TFs. i will post their web address later, as far as i can remember the kit is about £560 for the set of four. :whistle:

Re: Aftermarket dampers 13 years 3 months ago #21278

Sorry for mis-information! ~ It is Vehicle Handling Soloutions Ltd at www.vehiclehandlingsolutions.com The set is now £573.86 because of the VAT increase!!!! was £561.90 .
It is another option and is called a "Comfort Pack" however i would also bow to the advice from Chris :whistle:

Re: Aftermarket dampers 13 years 3 months ago #21279

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
If your description is "almost unstable" I wonder if there is something else wrong?

Have you had the suspension and bushes/wheel bearings checked out?

Sorry if you know your cars but I would hate to see someone shell out that much money to improve the handling and find out that they have a more fundamental problem.

Re: Aftermarket dampers 13 years 3 months ago #21287

I have to back up chris on this, the spax dampers are fantastic and give impressive feedback

there only downside is there isn't as much warning in the wet over the rear end... not to be confiused with feedback... theres loads of feeling it's just that when the back end starts to go it will go much further than it would on standard shocks before you can catch it

when you do catch it though you can hold it (the oem dampers i couldn't control slides well)

from reading your posts though

get the bilsteins

the spax are handling dampers not comfort ones and if you want comfort and drivability then you might find you can drive faster on rough roads with softer dampers

if in doubt get to a meet and ride in a few cars :)
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Re: Aftermarket dampers 13 years 3 months ago #21290

Thanks again gents, This is what I am after and as adam says, it is a better comfort level that I am after.

With regard to ccj, I checked the wheel bearings and the bushes for play and they seemed ok but I got a second opinion from a mechanic friend and he agreed. I will get the wheel allinement/tracking done before I buy anything and as I am doing a disc/pad change soon I have ordered some polybushes to do at the same time. But the HGF has taken priority at the moment.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT