Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Head gasket??? 13 years 4 months ago #20235

Went for a spin in the mgf this morning enjoying breakfast at Westerham- Kent. (Very nice roads for a fast winter spin.) Came back, and before putting the car back in the garage, thought I would check the oil and water. (Did a fluids change 6 weeks ago and have rarely used the car in the snow of the last month). When I lifted the dipstick, I noted a creamy white substance on the stick. Feared the worse and unscrewed the oil cap. Looked clean and all fine. Then dipped a rag all the way to the bottom of the coolant tank and that was fine. However, I fear I may have a slight split in the head gasket. Can someone confirm symptoms, or is there a chance that the oil goes this pale colour in the extreme cold of the last few weeks- and I just need to use the car more? (I may be clutching at straws.) :(

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Head gasket??? 13 years 4 months ago #20236

I sometimes get a little mayo on the stick this time of year as i only use the TF for short journeys. Once i take it for a long run (30 miles plus) it gets rid of it. Others more knowledgeable will no doubt give you better advice.

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: j.colwill

Re: Head gasket??? 13 years 4 months ago #20237

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
How far did you go?

At this time of year the cold damp air leads to a lot of condensation which can collect in the engine and mix with the oil. It is fairly common to see a few spots of mayo on the dipstick, but a good run out should clear it, but you need to do a run of a couple of hours with the engine at working temp.

If it was HGF I would expect to see mayo all over the dipstick and coolant level dropping.

It is paranoia weather for K-series as I have 2, one in the TF and one in the Freelander. I have found myself getting worried when there is steam coming out of the exhaust, even when it is up to temp, but then you notice most cars are the same in the sub zero conditions.

By all means keep an eye on it, but a little mayo isn't necessarily a scary outlook.

Re: Head gasket??? 13 years 4 months ago #20239

Hi,
This is really helpful. The level-headed reassurance from both replies is really helpful. I will be glad to receive further confirmation or contradiction. I don't want to keep my head in the sand.

Thanks

Re: Head gasket??? 13 years 4 months ago #20240

Oh- Orpington to Westerham is 11 miles. Did a round trip of about 25 miles in all.

Re: Head gasket??? 13 years 4 months ago #20242

Oh- Orpington to Westerham is 11 miles. Did a round trip of about 25 miles in all.

That's normally enough to boil my condensation off. Wipe any mayo off the stick and go for another run, to see if it forms again.

From other threads on here the heater not warming up and combustion smell in the coolant are also clues to look for.

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Re: Head gasket??? 13 years 4 months ago #20246

Went for a spin in the mgf this morning enjoying breakfast at Westerham- Kent. (Very nice roads for a fast winter spin.) Came back, and before putting the car back in the garage, thought I would check the oil and water. (Did a fluids change 6 weeks ago and have rarely used the car in the snow of the last month). When I lifted the dipstick, I noted a creamy white substance on the stick. Feared the worse and unscrewed the oil cap. Looked clean and all fine. Then dipped a rag all the way to the bottom of the coolant tank and that was fine. However, I fear I may have a slight split in the head gasket. Can someone confirm symptoms, or is there a chance that the oil goes this pale colour in the extreme cold of the last few weeks- and I just need to use the car more? (I may be clutching at straws.) :(

Thanks

All good advice from the experts, as you are so close to Russell Walsh, MG Rover Solutions it is well worth getting him over to check it out and wont cost an arm and a leg. Kimshros another forum member (In Epsom) recently had a simmilar problem on a 2004 TF, but with oily substance on top of header tank too, Russell cami in the snow before Christmas, did a cambelt change & full fluid change service and CONFIRMED that there was nothing wrong with the Head Gasket or underfloor pipes. He was unable to fit a coolant level kit (which i reccomended) because they are in short supply from B&G at the moment, probably because Russell is fitting so many. You will soon find out why he is called " Saint Russell" His number is 07515 539894 email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. website www.mgroversolutions.com please tell him who sent you. :lol:

Re: Head gasket??? 13 years 4 months ago #20251

Thanks Bryan. I will make this my 'next step' if- after following the earlier advice- my problem persists. "Rev'd Green" is in need of a "Saint Russell".

Re: Head gasket??? 13 years 4 months ago #20255

Like it!! have a word with Russell anyway, he is only likely to charge you about £25 to come and test it, much better to be doubly safe. You may even consider having a coolant level kit done, which is a very very worthwhile investment and have literally saved hundreds of MGFs & TFs from HGF. A coolant leak can be from numerous places, e.g. water pump, inlet manifold, rusting underfloor pipes, heater matrix, and will eventually cause HGF. the level sensor gives early warning of water loss. These were fitted as standard equipment on 2005 onwards TFs. i have heard of so so many owners being so thankful that one was fitted (and,no, i dont get commission on sales~ just trying to save more MGFs & TFs):lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: j.colwill

Re: Head gasket??? 13 years 4 months ago #20279

Took it for a 32 mile spin and brought it home. (Internal heater, gauges and performance all fine.) Dip stick almost completely fine, but the 'bulb' on the end has a trace of 'mayo'. Could be the condensation that folks have spoken of, but have emailed Saint Russell to confirm or deny. Feeling slightly more positive today (and there are great twisty-turny roads to enjoy!)

Re: Head gasket??? 13 years 4 months ago #20283

Took it for a 32 mile spin and brought it home. (Internal heater, gauges and performance all fine.) Dip stick almost completely fine, but the 'bulb' on the end has a trace of 'mayo'. Could be the condensation that folks have spoken of, but have emailed Saint Russell to confirm or deny. Feeling slightly more positive today (and there are great twisty-turny roads to enjoy!)

If you are not getting any coolant loss then I would say nothing to worry about :)
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT