Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Re: Need a new welder - But i'm all confused 13 years 3 months ago #20214

Oooh! You really don't want to be doing bodywork with an arc welder! Oxy-Acetyline is bad enough.
Back in the 80's I was replacing inner and outer sills on my ZB Magnette. I did the first side with an Oxy-Acetyline rig and it took me all weekend. I did the second side with a MIG and it took 4 hours. Even though it was my first time using a MIG the results were far better as well as much easier.
I do hate it when sparks drop into my ear though! :woohoo:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Need a new welder - But i'm all confused 13 years 3 months ago #20221

You get a better tan off an arc welder though.....lol
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Re: Need a new welder - But i'm all confused 13 years 3 months ago #20224

Oooh! You really don't want to be doing bodywork with an arc welder! Oxy-Acetyline is bad enough.
Back in the 80's I was replacing inner and outer sills on my ZB Magnette. I did the first side with an Oxy-Acetyline rig and it took me all weekend. I did the second side with a MIG and it took 4 hours. Even though it was my first time using a MIG the results were far better as well as much easier.

Yes welding sparks in the ear are horrible :unsure:

And doing what I did once - I wanted just a quick tack weld to hold the metal in place so decided just to position the torch then look away instead of using the mask, except I forgot to look away :whistle: I had a white patch in my vision for ages - I wont do that again!
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Last edit: Post by mgfmad.

Re: Need a new welder - But i'm all confused 13 years 3 months ago #20230

Yes welding sparks in the ear are horrible :unsure:

And doing what I did once - I wanted just a quick tack weld to hold the metal in place so decided just to position the torch then look away instead of using the mask, except I forgot to look away :whistle: I had a white patch in my vision for ages - I wont do that again!

An additional word of caution - rebuilt a large part of an Alfa 33 Sportwagon some years ago which invovled a lot of welding inside the car. Used the mask all the time but still got arc-eye (something you really don't want - broken glass under your eye lids about covers it) I think the arc was reflected around the inside of the car & bounced back from the inside of the mask.:oops:

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT