Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Electrical help required 13 years 4 months ago #20054

Hi guys n gals, hopefully someone here can make sense of the coming really rubbish description and help me with the answer.
Basically I have a waeco heated seat kit and I will be using that with two OEM rover buttons, one for each element - I have tried drawing a diagram in mspaint but it ends up being more confusion than the description I have penned. If anything is not clear, please let me know and I will provide more information.

First up, this is how the waeco kit is wired with it's own switches.

The 4 pole relay: (Pins 85, 86, 87 and 30)
1) 12v fused Live wire (red) - Pin 87 (this pin is also labelled 87a?!)
2) 12v fused switched wire (orange) - Pin 85
3) Earth wire (black) - Pin 87
4) Don't-know-what-it's-called (white) - Pin 30

Also coming out of pin 87 is a short blue wire that connects to a 470uF, 24v capacitor than then completes the circuit to pin 30 via a red wire.

Finally there is a set of two wires, one from pin 30 and one from pin 87 that form one heated seat element's loom. The earth wire in this loom goes direct from pin 87 to a plastic clip that would join the element pads. The wire from pin 30 is connected to the middle prong on a switch that has 3 positions (Low - Off - High). The high and low prongs are then wired to their own seperate pin on the same plastic clip to join to the element pads.

Confused yet, hope not!!

Part 2 of the puzzel, the Rover OEM switch. This type is the same as the front fog switch in that is has a click on click off position.

There are 5 pins on the switch (one is not used), 2 of the pins take a 12v input, one is a earth and the final one is has continuity with earth when the switch is "on"

What I would like to do is keep the standard hi off low switch but add in the rover OEM switch as like a master on / off. I know this might seem kind of pointless but the plan at a later date is to add some sort of potentiometer in place of the hi off low switch so I would have a Rover OEM switch for on / off then a variable temp controller.

I assume for the above that you would have to use another relay for each switch as it would be a bad idea to have the heating element circuit completing via the OEM switch right?

I really hope someone here can make sense of the above and point me in the right direction, what to buy from maplins and what to wire up to what!!

Thanks in advance

Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Electrical help required 13 years 4 months ago #20057

Not sure if I have the wrong end of the stick but if you have a switching earth on your MG switch why dont you just take the wire from pin 87 and run it through the earth switch on MG one

that way when you switch on the MG switch it will switch on the relay and yet you'll still have your High/low option
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Re: Electrical help required 13 years 4 months ago #20058

See I knew it would be simple, that sounds like it would work fine without the complication of extra relays - I'm not doubting you at all but can someone confirm that this is correct?

Completely unrelated but Mr. Norris, when are you planning on doing the lambo doors (if you still are); if it's funds that are holding you back I may be able to help there in return for getting some on my car too :)

Re: Electrical help required 13 years 4 months ago #20059

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
Based on your description, as Jon says, using the MG switch to control the earth would have the desired effect of an master switch

Re: Electrical help required 13 years 4 months ago #20060

Its adam on here who was getting hold of them for me, he's doing something with the spanish dude

they aren't cheap thats why I held back and the fact I still have to sort out putting my other doors on with no handles

its had thousand spent on it this year an hasn't hardly gone anywhere

Do you have a pic of the relay like this it would help to confirm what I've said,

Although on this pic its different to what you say, i.e. you would earth 85 or 86 depending if the power was on the opposite 85 or 86

live power would go to 30 and switched through to 87

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by rough luck.

Re: Electrical help required 13 years 4 months ago #20062

I'll take a photo of the relay diagram when I get home so the above advice can be confirmed.

On the subject of the doors, I thought that spanish guy failed to come up with the products and you were fabricating your own. No matter, I shall wait for the nas sport ones to arrive on these shores - cheers!

Re: Electrical help required 13 years 4 months ago #20064

I did design a set thats were really heavy duty 10mm were as LSD type ones are only 7mm

I made up a template and got the rams, but when I heard of the spanish ones I stopped doing them

Mine were quite a lot different though, I designed them so that the door would open completely like a normal door but had a preset (adjustable but only with a spanner) were it could be lifted to a range of about 90-110 degree lift

I had problems finding someone to cut 10mm plate at a sensible price

Re: Electrical help required 13 years 4 months ago #20082

Why not just fit a

WAECO HEATED SEAT KIT TEMPERATURE REGULATOR MSH-50-LIN

WAECO HEATED SEAT KIT TEMPERATURE REGULATOR MSH-50-LIN
Completed

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Electrical help required 13 years 4 months ago #20085

Here's the relay John:

I saw those waeco regulators but thought £35 is too much for two potentiometers !

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.903 seconds