Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: Pipercross Viper 13 years 4 months ago #20200

OK - I am going to install mine soon. As it turned out Santa brought me a brand new Dellorto 52m alloy throttle body :woohoo:

I intend to install the throttle body first, to check that it all works fine, before installing the Viper. However, as you all know, these are my first attempts at anything mechanical and I don't have the instructions, so I need a couple of pointers - as usual :)

Here's what I have:

The larger pipe, which connects to the throttle body is 83mm external diameter and the throttle body is 67mm. I need the pipe that connects these 2 together but I'm not sure what to use and where I'll find it :ohmy:

I am going to replace the intake pipe. Is neoprene the best material, how long does the pipe need to be and where do I tie it in position?

Will this mounting bracket fit and, if so, where?

Can anyone tell me where the small round filter in the photo goes please - I know this is a loaded question :lol:

As, usual, thanks for all your help and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Pipercross Viper 13 years 4 months ago #20203

OK - I am going to install mine soon. As it turned out Santa brought me a brand new Dellorto 52m alloy throttle body :woohoo:

I intend to install the throttle body first, to check that it all works fine, before installing the Viper. However, as you all know, these are my first attempts at anything mechanical and I don't have the instructions, so I need a couple of pointers - as usual :)

Here's what I have:

The larger pipe, which connects to the throttle body is 83mm external diameter and the throttle body is 67mm. I need the pipe that connects these 2 together but I'm not sure what to use and where I'll find it :ohmy:

I am going to replace the intake pipe. Is neoprene the best material, how long does the pipe need to be and where do I tie it in position?

Can anyone tell me where the small round filter in the photo goes please - I know this is a loaded question :lol:

One of these kits would do for the cold air intake .

Something like this might do for connection. Have a look in here .

The little filter will be for an oil breather. On the original car there will be a breather feeding into the inlet pipe. The little filter is for that. You won't need it.

And it's SILICONE you need not neoprene.:lol:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laz1957

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Pipercross Viper 13 years 4 months ago #20314

I'm having a problem getting the correct reducer to connect filter to throttle body.

The throttle body is 2.75" (70mm) and the Viper is 3.25" (83mm). There's plenty of 80mm>70mm connectors so the question is how much "give" is there in a silicone hose? Will an 80mm stretch enough to fit on a 83mm pipe? Will a slightly larger pipe make a good enough seal?

Do I need an elbow joint to allow the Viper to fit in the engine bay, or will a straight pipe be sufficient and how long does this need to be?

Also what length of induction pipe do I need to connect the Viper to the side air vent?

Thanks.

Last edit: Post by Laz1957.

Re: Pipercross Viper 13 years 4 months ago #20319

I'm having a problem getting the correct reducer to connect filter to throttle body.

The throttle body is 2.75" (70mm) and the Viper is 3.25" (83mm). There's plenty of 80mm>70mm connectors so the question is how much "give" is there in a silicone hose? Will an 80mm stretch enough to fit on a 83mm pipe? Will a slightly larger pipe make a good enough seal?

Do I need an elbow joint to allow the Viper to fit in the engine bay, or will a straight pipe be sufficient and how long does this need to be?

Also what length of induction pipe do I need to connect the Viper to the side air vent?

Thanks.

An 80mm will easily stretch to 83mm.:yesnod:
A bit of lubrication will help also...:rofl:
David

Re: Pipercross Viper 13 years 4 months ago #20323

Here's what I have:

There is an article in this months Safety Fast (MG Car Club Magazine) about fitting a 52mm Dellorto throttle body to replace the SU plastic one. i will copy it and post. Interesting bit about resetting the idle speed. One of our club members changed his throttle body a few months ago and didnt know that the throttle position sensor needs to be reset! its easy to do

Re: Pipercross Viper 13 years 4 months ago #20325

Thanks for that guys - I look forward to reading the bit about the sensor.

I did a bit more digging and think that a 1m cold air pipe will be sufficient to connect to the side air vent, which just leaves 2 questions:

What does the mounting bracket attatch to?

How long does the reducer between throttle body and Viper need to be and will a straight pipe allow the Viper to fit in the engine bay or do I go for a 45 or 90 degree elbow?

I'll take photos when I do this and post here, because I cannot find a "how to" for the Viper anywhere on the net

Re: Pipercross Viper 13 years 4 months ago #20330

Thanks for that guys - I look forward to reading the bit about the sensor.

I did a bit more digging and think that a 1m cold air pipe will be sufficient to connect to the side air vent, which just leaves 2 questions:

What does the mounting bracket attatch to?

How long does the reducer between throttle body and Viper need to be and will a straight pipe allow the Viper to fit in the engine bay or do I go for a 45 or 90 degree elbow?

I'll take photos when I do this and post here, because I cannot find a "how to" for the Viper anywhere on the net

I attached my bracket to the frame remaining, after removing the original air box.
I used a 45 degree elbow, but some have used a 90 bend.
David

Re: Pipercross Viper 13 years 4 months ago #20335

Thanks again for that.

I suppose this will do the trick then:

80mm to 70mm SILICONE 90 REDUCER ELBOW HOSE BLACK UK
Completed

Re: Pipercross Viper 13 years 4 months ago #20338

:yesnod:
David

Re: Pipercross Viper 13 years 4 months ago #20499

Ok all parts now bought - just awaiting for the air feed tube to arrive :)

Just for anyone's future reference, the 80mm diameter silicone pipe was an easy fit onto the 83mm Viper :woohoo:

I think I have everything straight on what I need to do apart from fitting the intake pipe to the nearside airvent.

Can anyone suggest a way to fix this in place and does the flexi-pipe need securing anywhere else before it's connected to the filter?

Thanks.

Bryan - is this the way to reset the throttle sensor?

If you notice that the car is idling higher that usual once warmed up then you may need to reset the stepper motor. This is done by simply switching the ignition to position II (without the engine running). Depress the throttle pedal fully 5 times in 5 seconds.

Last edit: Post by Laz1957.

Re: Pipercross Viper 13 years 4 months ago #20500

Ok all parts now bought - just awaiting for the air feed tube to arrive :)

Just for anyone's future reference, the 80mm diameter silicone pipe was an easy fit onto the 83mm Viper :woohoo:

I think I have everything straight on what I need to do apart from fitting the intake pipe to the nearside airvent.

Can anyone suggest a way to fix this in place and does the flexi-pipe need securing anywhere else before it's connected to the filter?

Thanks.

Bryan - is this the way to reset the throttle sensor?

If you notice that the car is idling higher that usual once warmed up then you may need to reset the stepper motor. This is done by simply switching the ignition to position II (without the engine running). Depress the throttle pedal fully 5 times in 5 seconds.

I wait 10 seconds after the 5 depressions before starting the car

The air feed pipe is a tight fit in the side vent and shouldn't need extra help.
David

Re: Pipercross Viper 13 years 4 months ago #20503

The induction hose on the Viper I have is about 70cm - is this long enough to get to the intake or do I need the full metre?

Time to create page: 0.936 seconds