Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Winter tyres - is it time? 13 years 4 months ago #19625

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
As you will know I fit winter tyres for the cold months and I shake my head as I watch the news filled with stories of accidents/ jack-knifed lorries and film of cars wheel spinning and going nowhere. The cost in terms of lives lost, people hurt, pressure on the NHS, vehicles damaged, work days lost, deliveries missed etc. is depressing!

Personally, I think it's time the Government made a ruling that come mid November all vehicles must have winter tyres fitted.
I know - what about...who's going to... etc.

But the simple truth is that most North European countries already have the laws in place.
The law works, all the above consequences are reduced and I know people in these countries look at the chaotic shambles that ensues in Britain every time snow falls, or it gets icy, with disbelief.

I have used M&S tyres for the last two winters and they are so much better at coping in cold weather conditions, it is difficult to believe. In fact I know that Sheila would not have been able to get out to work without them.

Anybody agree or disagree?
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Winter tyres - is it time? 13 years 4 months ago #19630

I agree. When we were looking at going to Italy skiing in the Jag back in March I looked at getting some 16" wheels and winter tyres but chains are a legal requirement so decided to stick with just them.
The problem for the TF is that I have to stick with 16" wheels so it's £150 a corner plus another set of alloys. Brand new tyres with plenty of tread depth have made a big difference but I think I'll keep an eye out for some bargain 11 spokes over the summer and get some winter tyres next autumn.

Edit: And I'm agreeing from the tropical South where all the snow has disappeared.
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

Last edit: Post by andy1970h.

Re: Winter tyres - is it time? 13 years 4 months ago #19633

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
Yep, I know the aps make it difficult, as 16" tyres are expensive!

Phil-hex has compromised by getting a pair of 15" wheels and winter tyre for the rear.
David

Re: Winter tyres - is it time? 13 years 4 months ago #19634

I agree, some british friends lived and worked in Germany for about fifteen years and as the law dictated (and you dont argue with the German law)the winter tyres went on at the onset of winter, he had a spare set of wheels for the Mercedes and she had a spare set of tyres which had to be changed over. if you didnt do it you got nicked!!

The ironic thing here, is that Auto Express did a feature on Winter Tyres about a month ago and they have now reported that there is a major shortage of winter tyres because very few are being imported and "wait for it" the insurance companies are charging an additional premium because they are a "MODIFICATION" from standard!!!! whatever happened to the fact that there may be less claims, because there will be fewer accidents, might even save someones life, no just jack the costs up. :evil:

i am too reporting from the balmly South where all (or most of) the snow has gone. :woohoo:

Re: Winter tyres - is it time? 13 years 4 months ago #19636

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

I agree, some british friends lived and worked in Germany for about fifteen years and as the law dictated (and you dont argue with the German law)the winter tyres went on at the onset of winter, he had a spare set of wheels for the Mercedes and she had a spare set of tyres which had to be changed over. if you didnt do it you got nicked!!

The ironic thing here, is that Auto Express did a feature on Winter Tyres about a month ago and they have now reported that there is a major shortage of winter tyres because very few are being imported and "wait for it" the insurance companies are charging an additional premium because they are a "MODIFICATION" from standard!!!! whatever happened to the fact that there may be less claims, because there will be fewer accidents, might even save someones life, no just jack the costs up. :evil:

i am too reporting from the balmly South where all (or most of) the snow has gone. :woohoo:

Our local road is still all fluffy white, sigh.:angry:
David

Re: Winter tyres - is it time? 13 years 4 months ago #19640

well after using the tyres for a couple of days, i totally agree with David, the difference is amazing.......

Re: Winter tyres - is it time? 13 years 4 months ago #19657

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

well after using the tyres for a couple of days, i totally agree with David, the difference is amazing.......

Ah - a winter tyre convert!:yesnod:
David

Re: Winter tyres - is it time? 13 years 4 months ago #19662

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
oh, only -20c here last night.:rofl:
David

Re: Winter tyres - is it time? 13 years 4 months ago #19925

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
Well finally I have seen a section of the ITN news dedicated to the benefits of winter tyres.
All say 'Halleluah!':rofl:
David

Re: Winter tyres - is it time? 13 years 4 months ago #19928

oh, only -20c here last night.:rofl:

That was a wee bit cold then, i beleive that you are in the process of sending it down to us together with some rain and ice and more snow!!! we couldn't cope with the few inches we had last time.:sick:

I spoke too soon about batteries!! My four year old genuine Honda replacement battery failed yesterday (it was only a mild - 4 deg C in the night) Going to trickle charge it tonight with my Accumate and see how it goes on. the battery is showing 13 volts output, drops to 10.5 v on starting and alternator is charging at around 14.9 volts . a new on is on the cards if it continues to drain overnight in the cold. :whistle:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT