Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Electrics help with heated seats 13 years 4 months ago #19611

So today I am ordering the waeco heated seat kit after reading the how-to by David, which incidentaly makes it look really simple.... that means there is almost 100% chance I'll still be doing it Sunday night but alas!

Anyway, for a while I have had a pair of TF OEM heated seat switches and plan to use them instead of the 2 heat setting switches that come with the kit. Now obviously in doing so I will loose the HI/LO heat settings the kit offers..

My plan therefor, is to wire up the kit to the OEM switches using the HI setting but also add some kind of potentiometer to enable a degree (no pun intended ;) ) of heat control. The specs quote: Stage II: 90 watts (2 seats) so I assume that means each seat is 45 watts; therefor am I right in thinking I need to be searching for a potentiometer that can handle in excess of 45 watts and 12volts and assuming I can find one, it would just fit in-line on the +ve rail to the seat element?

**EDIT**
Something like this? (Although I have no idea if its up to the job!)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2208

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Kameleon. Reason: additional info

Re: Electrics help with heated seats 13 years 4 months ago #19612

dont forget to wire up a buzzer or something so you dont leave them on, or wire them in with the ignition...

my friend installed some in his Exige for when he has the roof off in the winter and left them on and killed a battery! lol!

Re: Electrics help with heated seats 13 years 4 months ago #19616

• David Aiketgate
  • Away
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.

So today I am ordering the waeco heated seat kit after reading the how-to by David, which incidentaly makes it look really simple.... that means there is almost 100% chance I'll still be doing it Sunday night but alas!

Anyway, for a while I have had a pair of TF OEM heated seat switches and plan to use them instead of the 2 heat setting switches that come with the kit. Now obviously in doing so I will loose the HI/LO heat settings the kit offers..

My plan therefor, is to wire up the kit to the OEM switches using the HI setting but also add some kind of potentiometer to enable a degree (no pun intended ;) ) of heat control. The specs quote: Stage II: 90 watts (2 seats) so I assume that means each seat is 45 watts; therefor am I right in thinking I need to be searching for a potentiometer that can handle in excess of 45 watts and 12volts and assuming I can find one, it would just fit in-line on the +ve rail to the seat element?

I don't think your cunning plan will work, because I seem to remember that the two settings are actually powering different sized elements in the pads, rather than just more power through one set of elements.:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Re: Electrics help with heated seats 13 years 4 months ago #19618

Hmm that is a bit of a bummer but not a show stopper, I wonder how the variable kit waeco produce works, I just assumed it was a switch replacement and didn't fancy paying £30 for something I can make with some bits from Maplins!

Which setting do you use more often? Is the hottest setting too warm or nice and toasty?

Re: Electrics help with heated seats 13 years 4 months ago #19619

Hmm that is a bit of a bummer but not a show stopper, I wonder how the variable kit waeco produce works, I just assumed it was a switch replacement and didn't fancy paying £30 for something I can make with some bits from Maplins!

Which setting do you use more often? Is the hottest setting too warm or nice and toasty?

I find the lower setting still a bit too warm after a while but the other half has the seat on the higher setting all the time (guess I'm just hot stuff :whistle: )

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...

Re: Electrics help with heated seats 13 years 4 months ago #19620

• David Aiketgate
  • Away
  • David
  • David

We use the no 1 setting most. I sometimes use 2 if I'm getting into the car 1st thing after a -10 night!
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Electrics help with heated seats 13 years 4 months ago #19621

Got a link for the kit?

Re: Electrics help with heated seats 13 years 4 months ago #19622

• David Aiketgate
  • Away
  • David
  • David
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ned

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Electrics help with heated seats 13 years 4 months ago #19632

That's the one although I would recommend phoning the company up to see if you can get a better deal by buying direct ;)

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.876 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT