Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Think I've got to sell Flopsy 13 years 4 months ago #19412

• alias's Avatar Topic Author
  • alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
I'm not really sure where to begin. I'm currently doing lots of miles, and I work away during the week. Flopsy has been my main car since I got her, but I find things a real struggle in the winter.

I've had to leave her at home while I'm away this week - I couldn't get her to leave Chelmsford because of the snow.

So, my only choice is to sell her. For those of you that don't know, she is a V (1999) MGF with around 65K on the clock.

I've been looking into part exchange, but I've only been offered £600 - £700 for her, which seems very low.

I wanted to know if anyone would be interested in her as a project car, or anything like that, as I really don't want to have to let her go for so little.

I'm so desperate for something I can drive in this weather, that I really don't have the luxury of being able to wait and sell her privately.

I've spent thousands on her since I got her in July last year, and I'd really like to see her go to a good home.

*Sad face*

Soph

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Think I've got to sell Flopsy 13 years 4 months ago #19413

Sophie, get yourself some M&S winter tyres on. 195/50/15 winter tyres come in around £40ish. A lot cheaper than a new car, and you'll still skid about with normal tyres on, even 4x4s can't cope without M&S tyres up here.

We fit them in winter and you can drive around perfectly safely no skidding/wheel spinning etc.

I've been out in the F all day today - no problems.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: alias

Re: Think I've got to sell Flopsy 13 years 4 months ago #19414

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
I'd thought of changing the tyres, but I'm doing stupid amounts of driving, and it really worries me.

Almost all my miles are in the dark on bad roads, and I don't feel confident driving her, even if it hasn't been snowing. I've noticed that I generally don't sleep well the night before I go away because I spend the time worrying about the drive. Maybe I'm just a wuss, I don't know!

I'm also sick of having to remove the passenger seat every time I want to take my computer somewhere, but I don't think that has influenced my decision. It is annoying though!

Soph

Re: Think I've got to sell Flopsy 13 years 4 months ago #19421

What sort of computer requires that much space?

I wouldn't be suprised if you worried about long journys regardless of what sort of car you had.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Think I've got to sell Flopsy 13 years 4 months ago #19455

Soph, that is a really stupid price, Flopsy is a lovely MGF and should be worth much more, although having said that, Fs and TFs seem to be going for really low prices at the moment. our Epsom Club editor (kimshros) bought a lovely late 2004 TF135 with 45k on the clock for £3200 (was originally up for £4500 but didnt sell) I do agree with David that it would be worthwhile fitting M&S tyres, same size front and back, at £40 each it surely must be better than loosing such a lovely car (and friend) Long live Flopsy xxxx :woohoo:

Re: Think I've got to sell Flopsy 13 years 4 months ago #19609

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Sorry its taken me so long to reply. I've been a busy little bee...

I imagine your average PC happily fits in the boot of an MG, but my computer case is huge... See http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5363

I made my decision at the end of last week. I've put Flopsy in the garage, where she will stay until she can be sold once the weather gets warmer. I've had fun, and I've made lots of friends, but she is too impractical to be my only car. If I had the money, I'd keep her for summer fun, but that's not possible.

I'm going to miss the warm summer drives, but I need to feel safe while I'm driving.

I got a Clio 172 on Saturday, and I can't believe the difference. I don't rattle and shake when going over bumps, I can see out the back window, I'm not sliding round corners, I can go out in the snow, and most of all, I had a full nights sleep last night before driving up to Norwich. I haven't slept that well before a long early drive since before I got Flopsy.

Talkingcars - I did think you would be right and I'd always worry about the journey, but I'm happy to say that's not the case.

I'll still be around on the forum, and I wish you all the best with your MGs. I've had to move on, but I'll never forget any of the adventures I've had with Flopsy.

I'm sure some of this could have been phrased better, but hopefully you'll all understand.

Soph

Re: Think I've got to sell Flopsy 13 years 4 months ago #19615

Hi Soph, I`m glad you have found a solution that works for you-thats whats really important after all. I am also really pleased you are going to be staying around here too thats great news.
Chris

Re: Think I've got to sell Flopsy 13 years 4 months ago #19617

Soph,
I echo Chris' comments - and I am happy you're happy.:yesnod:
Stay around and keep in touch!
David
:shrug:

Re: Think I've got to sell Flopsy 13 years 4 months ago #19635

Beautifully written, i had to dry a tear, or was it dust in my eye!! i am so pleased that you are pleased with the Renault (the suspension is made for dodgy French roads) seriously though they are a nice car and you have stopped worrying and are sleeping which is good. Please stay around the forum, we all love you (and Flopsy of course) so pleased you have been MG'ed :kiss: :woohoo: :kiss:

Re: Think I've got to sell Flopsy 13 years 4 months ago #19834

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thank you all for your kind comments :)

Re: Think I've got to sell Flopsy 13 years 4 months ago #19835

Its the least we can do :-)

• Page: