Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Lowering 13 years 5 months ago #18755

Hi everyone,
I have made a tentative enquiry to the MGOC Workshop about having lowering pins fitted and 4 wheel alignment.The reply indicated that the use of lowering pins/knuckles should be avoided.I enquired if this involved a safety issue but was not answered satisfactorily.I am aware that the MGF Centre offers this service,any experiences,advice about lowering welcome.Car is a 2000 F by the way.
Regards Neil

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Lowering 13 years 5 months ago #18758

Hi everyone,
I have made a tentative enquiry to the MGOC Workshop about having lowering pins fitted and 4 wheel alignment.The reply indicated that the use of lowering pins/knuckles should be avoided.I enquired if this involved a safety issue but was not answered satisfactorily.I am aware that the MGF Centre offers this service,any experiences,advice about lowering welcome.Car is a 2000 F by the way.
Regards Neil

I am pretty surprised by a negative reaction like that. There's a helluva lot of people who have done this without problem, and it is normally recommended as the only way to lower an F.

The only warning I would give, would be to be careful with speed humps.
David
:shrug:

Re: Lowering 13 years 5 months ago #18759

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
After driving a lowered TF then I wouldn't do it myself as it makes some places inaccessable.

My TF is standard height and I struggle in some places. The lowered car was a joke on speed humps or moving up onto drives etc

One underground car park nearly got the better of me. There is no way I would have managed if lowered.

Saying all that, if you want to do it, then the lowering knuckles is the way to go.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by cjj.

Re: Lowering 13 years 5 months ago #18770

After driving a lowered TF then I wouldn't do it myself as it makes some places inaccessable.

My TF is standard height and I struggle in some places. The lowered car was a joke on speed humps or moving up onto drives etc

One underground car park nearly got the better of me. There is no way I would have managed if lowered.

Saying all that, if you want to do it, then the lowering knuckles is the way to go.

Is that in Paris? Reminds me of the Top Gear episode where they drove 3 supercars to that bridge and back and got stuck coming out of the parking lot!

Re: Lowering 13 years 5 months ago #18783

had mine lowered on lowering pins, and the hydragas set to the correct level by russell, car is great. do have to be careful on speed bumps, but nowhere near as careful as my lotus, if there is a speed hump i turn arround and find another way! lol! but then thats a track car not a daily driver.

If its done properly with correct Hydragas pressures, then its no problem at all.
Make sure you upgrade the dampers too, for £180 you can get a set of Gaz Adjustables.
Made a big difference to the handling taking it closer to the lotus.

Oz.

Re: Lowering 13 years 5 months ago #18785

when i was looking to buy my mgf i had veiwed a veiw mgfs that the owners had said where lowered, my god looked underneath and they were quite badly beaten up by speed humps, etc. it just takes once for something to catch or scrape on your pipes underneath and you will be introuble. for that reason save your money and spend it somewhere else on the car
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: Lowering 13 years 5 months ago #18787

Is that in Paris? Reminds me of the Top Gear episode where they drove 3 supercars to that bridge and back and got stuck coming out of the parking lot!

That's in Italy, somewhere. See the sign - Passo carrabile, it means vehicles can use the pavement (in Italian)
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Lowering 13 years 5 months ago #18818

it's your car mate if you want to lower it go for it

my TF is lowered with Mike Satur red springs (about as low as springs go!) but i can't comment on how usable they were as the engine decided it was time to die not long after fitting them

the thing did handle like you wouldnt believe though! the spax dampers proebbely helped a great deal

have a look out for some gax dampers to round off your suspension :)

lovely
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Re: Lowering 13 years 5 months ago #18825

I have had lowering pins for some eight years and 100000km with out a problem. Well thats not true, the lowering pins and my two finger ride height, fine. I also fitted PU bushes and my front wish bones snapped after six years use, there was no corrision of the wishbones. Also fitted at the same time were adjustable stiffer GAZ shockers, they within days had riped the inner turrets from the inside wing on the rear. Roadholding has been great, the ride a bit stiff, maybe using Bilstein's and leaving out the PU bushes the ride would be more compliant?
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by andrewr.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT