Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Coolant question 13 years 6 months ago #17502

Starting to loose a little coolant now, and need to top up. Brought some from Camberley Auto Factors, but it's a different colour.. (blue as opposed to the luminous green that I currently have) I am guessing you cannot mix them?
2003 MGTF Monogram Edition. Celestial Blue, Black Leather.No. 19 of 99 Built 11 Spoke Alloys. AP brakes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Coolant question 13 years 6 months ago #17506

Blue/green is 'usually' the old style ethylene glycol - and pink/orange is 'usually' the new style OAT.... unfortunately this isn't always the case!

They don't mix very well at all and sometimes cause a gooey sludge. What year is the car and has it ever had a full coolant flush?

Coolant question 13 years 6 months ago #17510

Blue/green is 'usually' the old style ethylene glycol - and pink/orange is 'usually' the new style OAT.... unfortunately this isn't always the case!

They don't mix very well at all and sometimes cause a gooey sludge. What year is the car and has it ever had a full coolant flush?

The car is an S plate, coolant never been flushed (by me anyway)
2003 MGTF Monogram Edition. Celestial Blue, Black Leather.No. 19 of 99 Built 11 Spoke Alloys. AP brakes.

Coolant question 13 years 6 months ago #17512

Meg is an S and she had old ethylene glycol in when I bought her - I swapped all of it to OAT..

Re: Coolant question 13 years 6 months ago #17631

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
As said, colour is not the problem, it is what you have in at the moment. You shouldn't mix Glycol and OAT as it just makes a mix that won't have the correct properties and may result in problems further down the line.

If in doubt, drain the system and refil with whatever coolant you choose, but OAT is generally accepted to be the superior of the two.

Re: Coolant question 13 years 6 months ago #17638

Starting to loose a little coolant now, and need to top up. Brought some from Camberley Auto Factors, but it's a different colour.. (blue as opposed to the luminous green that I currently have) I am guessing you cannot mix them?

Not advised to mix them, Ethylene Glycol and OAT that is, Bluecol now make a Clear colour antifreeze that can be used with either EG or OAT. as it has not been flushed before i would drain, flush and put in the latest pink/orange OAT (Organic Acid Technology) as it is far superior. it is also reccomended that you dilute it with de-ionised water and not tap water (because of the chemicals in it):)

Re: Coolant question 13 years 6 months ago #17662

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Not advised to mix them, Ethylene Glycol and OAT that is, Bluecol now make a Clear colour antifreeze that can be used with either EG or OAT. as it has not been flushed before i would drain, flush and put in the latest pink/orange OAT (Organic Acid Technology) as it is far superior. it is also reccomended that you dilute it with de-ionised water and not tap water (because of the chemicals in it):)

Totaly agree on the de-ionised water. You can buy iyt premixed though and the colour of OAT can be almost any colour you wish, you can even get blue, which is bound to confuse some people.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT