Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Camshaft oil seals? 13 years 7 months ago #15864

Hey guys.

Some of you (mostly Adam) may know I've had a slow oil leak from one side of my engine for a while, dripping down over the gearbox and onto the floor. Well now it's on the other side too, dripping down onto the sump plug and onto the floor.

From some quick scouring of the .org forums I'm suspecting my camshaft oil seals have gone at both sides. The leak isn't serious as I'm only losing maybe 2ml a day, I can top it up indefinately, but I'd like it fixed. I've been told it's around a 6-8 hour job for someone who's never done it before, but I need to know it's definately those oil seals before I start on the job or buy anything for it.

So how can I check it's definately those seals and not something else? Bear in mind I've not worked on the engine internals at all, but could likely get someone who has to come over and assist me.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Camshaft oil seals? 13 years 7 months ago #15866

Hey guys.

Some of you (mostly Adam) may know I've had a slow oil leak from one side of my engine for a while, dripping down over the gearbox and onto the floor. Well now it's on the other side too, dripping down onto the sump plug and onto the floor.

From some quick scouring of the .org forums I'm suspecting my camshaft oil seals have gone at both sides. The leak isn't serious as I'm only losing maybe 2ml a day, I can top it up indefinately, but I'd like it fixed. I've been told it's around a 6-8 hour job for someone who's never done it before, but I need to know it's definately those oil seals before I start on the job or buy anything for it.

So how can I check it's definately those seals and not something else? Bear in mind I've not worked on the engine internals at all, but could likely get someone who has to come over and assist me.

One for Clive, but I would think taking off the covers would confirm it. :dunno:
David
:shrug:

Camshaft oil seals? 13 years 7 months ago #15875

I'm also guessing I'd need cam locking/restraining tools in order to fit them properly.

I've read through the workshop manual and it looks like a simple but tricky and frightening procedure with lots of steps.

Camshaft oil seals? 13 years 7 months ago #15896

hmm this is one job on your car mate that i wouldnt fancy doing with you

i'll happily assist clive if he fancys a go but i don't mess on with belts, never have done and wont until i get the TFs engine out and have a good at stripping it (for fun lol)

if you go wrong it will be............ expensive

have you thought about putting in some piper cams while your there ;) hehe

anyway i allways reckoned your leak was cam seals

not a cheap job for rovtech unfortunately but like i say if you find someone who is competent ill come along and help :) (and learn)

btw you cant keep topping up indefinitely

eventually the seals will fail all together and then your in the poo
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Camshaft oil seals? 13 years 7 months ago #15942

I'll ask E&A Motors if they fancy having a go at it.

He's a superb mechanic and one of the only ones I trust in the local area.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT