Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Looking to buy an MGF 13 years 7 months ago #15858

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi

I am thinking about buying my first MGF - a steptronic. HG doen 3 years ago but 1 year ago it had - cam belt kit, water pump and inlet manifold gasket, replaced. Should I be worried as I thought this would be done when HG was replaced.

Also what else should I look out for?

Thanks

Spongesdad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Looking to buy an MGF 13 years 7 months ago #15860

Hi

I am thinking about buying my first MGF - a steptronic. HG doen 3 years ago but 1 year ago it had - cam belt kit, water pump and inlet manifold gasket, replaced. Should I be worried as I thought this would be done when HG was replaced.

Thanks

Spongesdad

:welcome:
It would have made sense to have done all that work when the HG was replaced unless the belt was fairly new when the HG was done and they didn't want the extra expense.

I would check the radiator is still good and the steel underfloor pipes that run along the centre of the car from the engine to the radiator are not rotten, although if they are just use it as a lever to get the price down then fit stainless steel replacements (cost around £70) Make sure the gearbox changes smoothly as well.

Some good info here - Click
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Looking to buy an MGF 13 years 7 months ago #15862

:welcome2:

The auto gearbox can be problematic, and if it goes wrong - expensive. Check it operates smoothly in all settings and with no whining noises.
David
:shrug:

Looking to buy an MGF 13 years 7 months ago #15873

Hi

Thanks

Spongesdad

The Steptronic automatic gearbox must feel smooth in use, try changing up and down with the paddles. if it dosent feel right, leave well alone, a recon box is £1500 plus fitting a new one (if you can find one) will set you back £3000 ~ hope this helps ~ also look at tyres, especially inside edges and ride height

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT