Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

11 spoke wheel questions 13 years 7 months ago #15918

Watch the locking wheel nuts. I recently put a set of TF 11 spoke wheels on my 'F' and popped the top off one of the locking nuts. Bought a new set of nuts, and after checking with some engineers blue, discovered that the studs hit the end of the thread in the nut before the nut actually locks the wheel. In a cheap effort to solve the problem, I shortened one stud on each hub, by about 3mm, and then put a cross mark on the end of the shortened stud to know which one is the short one.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 spoke wheel questions 13 years 7 months ago #15922

Well I had problems finding either the Tojo T1Rs or Nexen N3000s :frown:

Just for info, everyone is telling me they won't have Tojos until next month (must be when the next shipment is due in the UK).

So, as my wife had already suggested, I phoned our small local tyre fitter and after he made a quick call he told me he can get me a set of Tojos for the end of next week :hurray:

I should have a full size spare by then and he will fit a bi-directional tyre to that for me - can anyone suggest a good tyre option for the spare?

I would just fit a T1-R as that way you have a 50% chance of being able to drive as normal. With a different tyre on as a spare I would still restrict yourself to 50mph.

As I'm putting 16" wheels on a Mk1 F - do I need to get these as well?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGF-MG-F-16-Wheel-Front-Bump-Stop-Bracket-Mod-Kit-New-/360276469037?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e226a52d

Thanks

Never heard of people fitting these when changing to 16".

Watch the locking wheel nuts. I recently put a set of TF 11 spoke wheels on my 'F' and popped the top off one of the locking nuts. Bought a new set of nuts, and after checking with some engineers blue, discovered that the studs hit the end of the thread in the nut before the nut actually locks the wheel. In a cheap effort to solve the problem, I shortened one stud on each hub, by about 3mm, and then put a cross mark on the end of the shortened stud to know which one is the short one.

Yep, there is some misinformation out there resulting in the wrong locking nuts being supplied.
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT