Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Head Gasket - just when things were going ok 13 years 7 months ago #15571

Hi,

You know when all is ok something is bound to happen, well, noticed a drop ever so slight (1cm) in the expansion bottle, topped it to the seam. This happened twice. Took the engine bay cover off and found a trickle of water on the top join between the gear box and cylinder head.

Since this I wiped this area clean and re-examined today and found a trickle of water at the front of the clyinder head and main block. No mayo in the engine or dip stick or the coolant cap all clean. No raise in water or oil temp, checked hoses no leaks and air locks either, so once a pressure test is completed then I will know further.....

I read through all the old receipts (2 years old) as it mentioned a head gasket and skimmed head using the upgraded gasket kit, but when taking out all the sound proofing to access the engine bay cover I found a small plastic bag.
This bag contained 2 stainless steel dowels, I can only assume these were for the new kit and never used!

Waiting on the mobile mechanic Russell to arrange a date for a fix...........and while he is at it, he offers option packages, i've gone for C as it includes cam belt change, water pump, thermostate etc so the road will be a fair quieter for the next few weeks.

any other ideas or mechanics please post a reply

regards

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Head Gasket - just when things were going ok 13 years 7 months ago #15574

Hi,

You know when all is ok something is bound to happen, well, noticed a drop ever so slight (1cm) in the expansion bottle, topped it to the seam. This happened twice. Took the engine bay cover off and found a trickle of water on the top join between the gear box and cylinder head.

Since this I wiped this area clean and re-examined today and found a trickle of water at the front of the clyinder head and main block. No mayo in the engine or dip stick or the coolant cap all clean. No raise in water or oil temp, checked hoses no leaks and air locks either, so once a pressure test is completed then I will know further.....

I read through all the old receipts (2 years old) as it mentioned a head gasket and skimmed head using the upgraded gasket kit, but when taking out all the sound proofing to access the engine bay cover I found a small plastic bag.
This bag contained 2 stainless steel dowels, I can only assume these were for the new kit and never used!

Waiting on the mobile mechanic Russell to arrange a date for a fix...........and while he is at it, he offers option packages, i've gone for C as it includes cam belt change, water pump, thermostate etc so the road will be a fair quieter for the next few weeks.

any other ideas or mechanics please post a reply

regards

Is the coolant leaking under the throttle body area? If so, you can get that effect if the inlet manifold gasket is leaking. It drips off the manifold and runs around the seam between the head and the block.
David
:shrug:

Head Gasket - just when things were going ok 13 years 7 months ago #15578

Hiya, how r you both?,
I moved on since the squeaky suspension (no more squeak) to coolant issues :)
I very much appreciate the information: sorry to be sounding mechanically dud (learing curve increasing) does water run through the inlet manifold? could this be the reason for no mayo effect? and the the two metal dowels I found could be anyones guess I suppose :) would the new gasket kit to your knowledge come with more than 2 dowels?
would this only require the inlet gasket replacing? sorry for the questions

I think I am getting that syndrome called 'coolant where have you gone' (latin version 'Aquaous donas gonas' ).
kindest regards to you both
keith

Head Gasket - just when things were going ok 13 years 7 months ago #15579

I nearly forgot, I will check the throttle body area....doh!

Head Gasket - just when things were going ok 13 years 7 months ago #15585

Water runs up to the face of the inlet manifold and the manifold blanks it off. Any deformation of the manifold or degradation of the gasket, leads to coolant escaping. Usually at the lower left hand side of the manifold(looking from the rear of the car). You can often feel liquid/ dampness if you run a finger along the underside of the manifold. Watch out for hot engine.

A new gasket kit comes with only one set of steel dowels.
David

Head Gasket - just when things were going ok 13 years 7 months ago #15600

Thanks for the valuable information, checked the level by marking the expansion bottle and driving round last night. This evening I checked the mark and now the coolant in the expansion bottle has risen above the mark? No damp along the inlet manifold?

What a laugh :0 cannot figure this one out....what is going on, (jibber jibeer) as I laugh out loud (head gaslet maddness), neighbours know I am mad, now this puts the icing on the jam sponge cake, Mmmmm nice. Just have to wait for russell to contact me and let him figure this one out.

Head Gasket - just when things were going ok 13 years 7 months ago #15604

Thanks for the valuable information, checked the level by marking the expansion bottle and driving round last night. This evening I checked the mark and now the coolant in the expansion bottle has risen above the mark? No damp along the inlet manifold?

What a laugh :0 cannot figure this one out....what is going on, (jibber jibeer) as I laugh out loud (head gaslet maddness), neighbours know I am mad, now this puts the icing on the jam sponge cake, Mmmmm nice. Just have to wait for russell to contact me and let him figure this one out.

If the coolant level rises, it usually means air/gas in the cooling system. If it falls again when the system cools, that is a sign of gas/air, as gas/air expands with heat.
David

Head Gasket - just when things were going ok 13 years 7 months ago #15616

Many thanks for the info, been chatting to russell and hopefully all will be repaired in the next couple of weeks

much respect for the help

Head Gasket - just when things were going ok 13 years 7 months ago #15619

Many thanks for the info, been chatting to russell and hopefully all will be repaired in the next couple of weeks

much respect for the help

Russell will see you right. A top bloke, came all the way to Carlisle to fit me a new head gasket!:yesnod:

Tell him, I said 'Hi', and that, 30,000 miles later, it's still going strong. (Touch wood.:lol:)
David

Head Gasket - just when things were going ok 13 years 7 months ago #15624

Russell will see you right. A top bloke, came all the way to Carlisle to fit me a new head gasket!:yesnod:

Tell him, I said 'Hi', and that, 30,000 miles later, it's still going strong. (Touch wood.:lol:)

Dont tempt fate!!!!! , mind you aren't Russell's jobs guarenteed for life!!, he is a great bloke, saved so many MGFs and TFs from a fate worse than death

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT