Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Future proofing the suspension/wheel arch areas 13 years 8 months ago #15524

Hi folks,

I think I need checked into an asylum, because I've decided it's my goal to rust and corrosion proof as much of the car as humanly possible. Forgetting the subframes for a moment (those can be done later, they're not exactly going anywhere) my current task is the suspension and wheel arch area. Also forget the brake pipes and where they connect to the brake flexi as this area is "ok" until heavy corrosion requires their replacement (and will be upgraded when replaced).

My thoughts are thus; purchase new track rods, wishbones, dampners and anti-roll bars. Then get them galvanised and completely sealed. Throw away the crappy rubber bushes and replace with polybush throughout, front and back. Obviously these will be purchased over time and not as a lump sum, since I do not want a second mortgage, haha.

What am I missing or are there any pitfalls with this I should be aware of? I'm very wary about doing anything to the drive flanges or drive shafts to make them more corrosion proof, though I would certainly like to as my rear shafts and flanges look like I've put them in the dishwater with half a ton of salt.

I've been wanting to do this ever since I changed my brake discs and went "ugh!" since the entire wheel arch area looked like a lump of rust. :shake:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Future proofing the suspension/wheel arch areas 13 years 8 months ago #15525

• Visitor
  • Visitor
POR 15 is your friend :)

just doing this on the lotus.

Future proofing the suspension/wheel arch areas 13 years 8 months ago #15526

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I wouldn't touch any driveshafts etc as you could throw their balance out and it could cause vibration.

Future proofing the suspension/wheel arch areas 13 years 8 months ago #15535

You wont be able to have the parts you suggest Galvanised (a hot dip in zinc process) because the wishbones contain a ball joint which would have to be removed first, could not do the dampers either, DONT do the driveshafts, the heat of the galvanising process could affect their torsional strength, the same with the ARBs. Dont neglect the subframes, they are probably more important to paint than the other components and they will have to be dropped to get the wishbones off, this is the time to paint them as the wishbone mounting pockets can also be done. I too would reccomend that you use POR15 after proper preperation. it is obtainable on line from Frosts www.frosts.co.uk

I will try to post a photo of the front suspension on my 1996 MGF this amount of corrosion is typical of an F or TF because the original paint coatings were minimal. i am goin to do mine with the full POR15 System

Future proofing the suspension/wheel arch areas 13 years 8 months ago #15537

The rusty front suspension on my MGF

Future proofing the suspension/wheel arch areas 13 years 8 months ago #15539

Thanks for the ideas and the advice.

Bryan, your suspension is much worse than mine it seems. I think I might just wait until mine is terrible then get the whole thing done at the same time (subframes, wishbones, rods, dress the engine bay with new high grade bolts, etc).

Future proofing the suspension/wheel arch areas 13 years 8 months ago #15540

Bryan, you need to stop driving in sea water!:lol:
David
:shrug:

Future proofing the suspension/wheel arch areas 13 years 8 months ago #15544

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Your pads aren't contacting on the full area of the disc.

Future proofing the suspension/wheel arch areas 13 years 8 months ago #15548

POR 15 is your friend :)

just doing this on the lotus.

any tips? will be doing this soon :)

You wont be able to have the parts you suggest Galvanised (a hot dip in zinc process) because the wishbones contain a ball joint which would have to be removed first, could not do the dampers either, DONT do the driveshafts, the heat of the galvanising process could affect their torsional strength, the same with the ARBs. Dont neglect the subframes, they are probably more important to paint than the other components and they will have to be dropped to get the wishbones off, this is the time to paint them as the wishbone mounting pockets can also be done. I too would reccomend that you use POR15 after proper preperation. it is obtainable on line from Frosts www.frosts.co.uk

I will try to post a photo of the front suspension on my 1996 MGF this amount of corrosion is typical of an F or TF because the original paint coatings were minimal. i am goin to do mine with the full POR15 System

ditto
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Future proofing the suspension/wheel arch areas 13 years 8 months ago #15549

Your pads aren't contacting on the full area of the disc.

Thank you for noticing this. i ought to tell you that this photo was taken just after i had got the car which had been standing in the open (in Surrey not in the sea!!) for 18 months unused, the callipers were seized, you can see the rust on the discs one wishbone had rusted through. The ARB was so rusty i thought it would be cheaper to buy a new one than spend ages cleaning derusting and repainting. Bit of a job getting the discs off, set screws were also sheared off (drilled out and retapped) i set to and wire brushed every surface found the hole in the wishbone, decided to replace all bushes with poly. in fact the whole under front and rear were a bit sad, to say the least. going to finish the front then start on the rear and treat in the same way. have taken loads of photos of all stages so will post a refurbishment programme in due course, so watch this space. Kind regards Bryan:rolleyes2:

Future proofing the suspension/wheel arch areas 13 years 8 months ago #15550

any tips? will be doing this soon :)

ditto

Dismantle as much as you can or want to, wire brush by hand or on a power tool to remove loose rust and flaking paint, degrease then use POR15 metal ready which dissolves rust, etch primes and leaves a zinc phospate coating, then apply rust preventive coating and topcoat as directed. you can buy a starter kit £14.50 to see how you get on and a small cans pack to prevent waste as it is expensive stuff. once it is done properley it will outlast the original coatings for very many years. when you have finished painting squirt waxoil into the subframes and into the wishbones sandwich. you can find full details of the POR15 at www.frost.co.uk

Future proofing the suspension/wheel arch areas 13 years 8 months ago #15554

Thank you for noticing this. i ought to tell you that this photo was taken just after i had got the car which had been standing in the open (in Surrey not in the sea!!) for 18 months unused, the callipers were seized, you can see the rust on the discs one wishbone had rusted through. The ARB was so rusty i thought it would be cheaper to buy a new one than spend ages cleaning derusting and repainting. Bit of a job getting the discs off, set screws were also sheared off (drilled out and retapped) i set to and wire brushed every surface found the hole in the wishbone, decided to replace all bushes with poly. in fact the whole under front and rear were a bit sad, to say the least. going to finish the front then start on the rear and treat in the same way. have taken loads of photos of all stages so will post a refurbishment programme in due course, so watch this space. Kind regards Bryan:rolleyes2:

I and, I expect, a lot of people, will be very interested to see this 'How-to' .:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT