Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

16 inch wheels 13 years 8 months ago #15399

Hi All,
Toying with the idea of putting some Trophy style 16 inch 11 spoke wheels on my 2000 MGF.I have two queries,the first is the fitting of different bump stops,is this necessary?The second is what size tyres to fit for front and rear.
Regards Neil

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 inch wheels 13 years 8 months ago #15401

Hi All,
Toying with the idea of putting some Trophy style 16 inch 11 spoke wheels on my 2000 MGF.I have two queries,the first is the fitting of different bump stops,is this necessary?The second is what size tyres to fit for front and rear.
Regards Neil

The 16"s are a straight swap, no adjustment necessary.
The F runs 215/40 16 all around. That's what I run, with no problems.
The Trophy F and the TF run 195/45 16 front 215/40 16 rear.
David
:shrug:

16 inch wheels 13 years 8 months ago #15402

The 16"s are a straight swap, no adjustment necessary.
The F runs 215/40 16 all around. That's what I run, with no problems.
The Trophy F and the TF run 195/45 16 front 215/40 16 rear.

I am so glad you said that because I made no adjustment when I fit the trophy GW wheels to Slave and was feeling a bit worried now for the guy who bought her! :yikes:

16 inch wheels 13 years 8 months ago #15416

Thanks David,
It was just something I came across on e bay,it was a bump stop kit and it specified that it was required when fitting 16 inch wheels to an F.Had not heard of this before and there must be alot of people who have changed to 16s,probably just a sales pitch.Is there a reason why the Trophy runs narrower fronts?,also what spare wheels are people carrying,is the original steel ok to use as I have read the rolling circumferance is within tolerance when using 40s as opposed to 45s?Is the ride noticeably any harsher using 40s?Any further info appreciated.
Regards Neil

16 inch wheels 13 years 8 months ago #15418

• Visitor
  • Visitor
would have thought it depended more on tyre pressures, 40% vs 45% will make almost no difference :) pressures would have more impact i would think...

also narrower fronts make sence because most of the weight is rear-ward, and force = pressure over area, so to get a nice crisp turn in you want more force on the front wheel, thus narrowing them will do this...

its the same way the elises run. my MGF is running 195/55/15s front and 205/50/15s rear (i think could be 185/55/15's cant remember exactly)

16 inch wheels 13 years 8 months ago #15420

Thanks David,
It was just something I came across on e bay,it was a bump stop kit and it specified that it was required when fitting 16 inch wheels to an F.Had not heard of this before and there must be alot of people who have changed to 16s,probably just a sales pitch.Is there a reason why the Trophy runs narrower fronts?,also what spare wheels are people carrying,is the original steel ok to use as I have read the rolling circumferance is within tolerance when using 40s as opposed to 45s?Is the ride noticeably any harsher using 40s?Any further info appreciated.
Regards Neil

Do you have a link to that Neil? I would be interested to read their speil. The 16" wheel and tyre combination is very slightly smaller overall than the 15" tyre setup, so I don't know why you would need to alter bump stops.
I could see the logic if you were fitting lowering pins, though.:dunno:

The smaller front tyres were fitted because a lot of people ( used to front wheel drive) were complaining about the car being oversteery, so the smaller fronts induced a little more understeer. Personally, being brought up driving rear wheel drive cars, I don't see a problem. It just requires different technique to a front wheel drive car.

As to spares, most cars started with a 14" steel spare - limited to 50mph- due to the difference from the alloys/tyres.
Cars with Ap front brakes have to use a full size 16" (11 spoke or similar) alloy to fit over the brakes. Might be restricted to 50mph when fitted due to the directional tyre.
Although to save money later cars were just given a can of goo.
David

16 inch wheels 13 years 8 months ago #15421

Thanks Ozzy and David
David,Not sure how to put e bay links onto here(not very computer literate)but found it when I put 'MGF wheels' into the e bay all catagories search.
Regards Neil

16 inch wheels 13 years 8 months ago #15422

Link

Like that, you mean?

Ok, I've just learned how to do that, - so this is what you do:-

When you find anything on the web that you want to put into a post
1/. Go to the bar at the top of the web page that shows the address of the page (http://www....)
2/. Highlight the address by clicking on it.
3/. Right click, and press COPY.
4/. Now go to your chosen forum and - reply to thread or create new thread.
5/ In the typing area, type something that you want the link to be called(e.g. LINK) and highlight this word(s).
6/. Now go to the icons across the top of the area, click on the little world icon.(insert link)
7/. Right click in the little window that comes up.
8/. Click PASTE. Click OK.

Job's a good 'un.;)

It takes longer to describe than to do!:yesnod:
David

16 inch wheels 13 years 8 months ago #15424

Hi David,
Thanks for the explanation,things that seem to come naturally to the younger generation take a bit longer to sink in when born in the era when silver threepences and farthings were legal tender lol.
Regards Neil

16 inch wheels 13 years 8 months ago #15425

Well I was born in 53, so...:dunno:
David

16 inch wheels 13 years 8 months ago #15427

47 was a very good year

16 inch wheels 13 years 8 months ago #15432

47 was a very good year