Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

I'm a jammy bugger 13 years 8 months ago #15313

I was jacking up my car just now and.. it fell off the jack.. :yikes:

What's more.. the wall of my garage is rough breezeblock.. :yikes:

But my dad had constructed a wooden lattice against that wall in order to fit a bench at a later date, and my car had come to rest against that lattice.

I escaped with a tiny scratch that'll easily polish out.

Heart attack over. *collapses* :ouch:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

I'm a jammy bugger 13 years 8 months ago #15314

Phew that was a bloody close one! Someone upstairs obviously likes your TF! :lol:

I'm a jammy bugger 13 years 8 months ago #15315

I was jacking up my car just now and.. it fell off the jack.. :yikes:

What's more.. the wall of my garage is rough breezeblock.. :yikes:

But my dad had constructed a wooden lattice against that wall in order to fit a bench at a later date, and my car had come to rest against that lattice.

I escaped with a tiny scratch that'll easily polish out.

Heart attack over. *collapses* :ouch:

Ooh nasty!

But it could have been a lot worse, you could have been under it!:yesnod:

Reminds me of when I was a callow youth, I had a Capri up on the supplied jack, trying to remove a front disk. I was bashing away with a hammer, my head was in the wheel arch, when I heard an ominous creaking!:whistle:
Cue rapid exit backwards, just in time to see the jack fold up, allowing the Capri to lurch forwards. Luckily(?) the corner of the house stopped it going too far:mad:

A valuable lesson learned, I have always used a big hydraulic jack and axle stands since. As well as chocking the wheels!
David
:shrug:

I'm a jammy bugger 13 years 8 months ago #15316

Don't worry, it's now in the garage up on ramps (front and back) with 3 ton rated axle stands on it too (also front and back).

Since I'll have my complete body underneath it while undersealing it, I'm taking NO chances.

I'm a jammy bugger 13 years 8 months ago #15327

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Are you playing with Torque Tamer bushes as well? :)

I'm a jammy bugger 13 years 8 months ago #15334

Yes, yes I am. :p

But I'd love to know how the heck you got the bolts off! Mine absolutely refuse to budge, even after soaking them in penetrating oil all day.

I'm a jammy bugger 13 years 8 months ago #15339

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Mine were only off about 18months ago.

I think it will mean the biggest breaker bar you can find, maybe a bit of heat as well.

Are you using penetrating oil or WD40?

It might help to wire brush the threads that are sticking out of the end.

I'm a jammy bugger 13 years 8 months ago #15344

I don't have a breaker bar, that's one essential thing I'm missing from my tool chest.

If we have time on Friday, we could slacken them then tighten them up again (but enough to get them off when I get home).

My dad has a large air compressor and an air powered impact driver, that would get them off no problem. But the damn thing doesn't fit in the space available.

I'm a jammy bugger 13 years 8 months ago #15347

As Clive has said, use Plus Gas (penertrating oil) not WD40, wire brush the exposed threads, put on a bit of heat and then plus gas. try tightening first to break rust bond. Slip a length of steel tube over the rachet handle to give more leverage if you dont have a breaker bar.

I'm a jammy bugger 13 years 8 months ago #15348

I don't have a breaker bar, that's one essential thing I'm missing from my tool chest.

If we have time on Friday, we could slacken them then tighten them up again (but enough to get them off when I get home).

My dad has a large air compressor and an air powered impact driver, that would get them off no problem. But the damn thing doesn't fit in the space available.

i have a home made breaker bar, want me to pop round tomorrow? be interesting to see the mod evan if its a bit pointless to me :)

you were dam lucky like, if i knew you were undersealing i'd of said come to mine and we could do it together (oo erR) i've been putting the job off long enough!
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

I'm a jammy bugger 13 years 8 months ago #15363

Well I have a ton of undersealant still (entire underbody of a TF takes 1/4th of the tin to do) but it's an extremely messy job. I literally came in for a wash with black arms and a black face.. I looked like part of a minstrel act.

I also managed to get the thingies off in order to change the bushes, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the metal ring out the larger one.

I'm a jammy bugger 13 years 8 months ago #15376

GOT THE B**TARD OUT!

Now I have to cross my fingers and hope the company who makes the new bushes actually bothered to ship them when I ordered them (Monday) and they'll be here tomorrow. Because if they're not here by Friday I'll be stuffed.. and they'll be receiving an angry letter.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT