• Page:

Topic

Tyre Sizes... 13 years 10 months ago #14026

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey ladies and gents

quick question regarding tyre sizes

i have a spare set of Toyo R1R's in 205/50/15 from my lotus, which is now sort whilst i put a V8 in it...
these have done 60 miles since i put them on the car 2 months ago...

i dont want to waste them as they are amazing tyres, will 205/50/15's fit on the front of the MY2000 MGF without rubbing?

i think the fronts are 195/50/15 and rears are 205/50/15?

Thanks!
Oz.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tyre Sizes... 13 years 10 months ago #14029

Hey ladies and gents

quick question regarding tyre sizes

i have a spare set of Toyo R1R's in 205/50/15 from my lotus, which is now sort whilst i put a V8 in it...
these have done 60 miles since i put them on the car 2 months ago...

i dont want to waste them as they are amazing tyres, will 205/50/15's fit on the front of the MY2000 MGF without rubbing?

i think the fronts are 195/50/15 and rears are 205/50/15?

Thanks!
Oz.

The standard fronts should be 185/55/15. The increase in diameter to the 205/50 from standard is only 0.1" So I would imagine that the tyres will probably fit without rubbing. How the R-1Rs match what you have on the rear - :dunno: How your handling will be affected -:dunno:
David
:shrug:

Tyre Sizes... 13 years 10 months ago #14032

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
well i dont want to waste £600 of tyres, as im not going to get to track the Lotus for a few years now, i want to do some airfield activity days in the MG so will will half decent tyres on it...

what tyres are the common ones people here run?

I have always sworn by Toyo R888's and the new R1Rs are amazing, especially in damp/"mildly moist" - top gear term, conditions...

Tyre Sizes... 13 years 10 months ago #14033

well i dont want to waste £600 of tyres, as im not going to get to track the Lotus for a few years now, i want to do some airfield activity days in the MG so will will half decent tyres on it...

what tyres are the common ones people here run?

I have always sworn by Toyo R888's and the new R1Rs are amazing, especially in damp/"mildly moist" - top gear term, conditions...

Toyo T1-Rs are very popular. There is a table of tyres used successfully here:- http://www.the-t-bar.com/showthread.php?34-MGF-TF-Recommended-Tyres-amp-Pressures
David

Tyre Sizes... 13 years 10 months ago #14034

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Car currently has T-1Rs on it and i find them very understeery/weak for breaking... but then im used to R888s and R1Rs on the Lotus...
The T1Rs performed not too badly in the snow... but then i also had R888s on the Lotus and that was fine in the snow too!!!

Tyre Sizes... 13 years 10 months ago #14036

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I think the 195s are specified on the front to create understeer due to the mid engined layout. It was deemed that most inexperienced drivers would spin the car with the same tyres front and rear.

Tyre Sizes... 13 years 10 months ago #14046

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
cool, well the Lotus was SORN today so just need to get an S-Type Jag sorted now, then break it for parts, and sell what i dont need! recon i will be an engine and £500 up when the dust settles!

Need to get the Lotus Tyres swapped on to the MGF wheels now...

Tyre Sizes... 13 years 10 months ago #14058

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Go on. Put the Jag engine in the F. ;)

Tyre Sizes... 13 years 10 months ago #14059

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The F is a bit heavy... :P

its no where near as much space in it either...

i recon that a VW golf R32 V6 3.2 would JUST about fit in it... but that would be about 15 - 20k just to do that conversion, the lotus conversion will hopefully cost less than 3k all in! plus 2k for roll cage and new fueling system...

The F is a fun car, but the handling is nowhere near the same league even as my 25 year old Lotus Excel (which has coilovers), and is about the same handling wise as the current S2 Elise...

Tyre Sizes... 13 years 10 months ago #14293

I run R1R's on 16" rims on my F, GREAT tyres. In regard to size I ran T1R's 215's x 15 on all four wheels on my F as a road tyre with out a problem.

Tyre Sizes... 13 years 10 months ago #14303

I run R1R's on 16" rims on my F, GREAT tyres. In regard to size I ran T1R's 215's x 15 on all four wheels on my F as a road tyre with out a problem.

Should that be 215 x 16, Andrew?
David

Tyre Sizes... 13 years 10 months ago #14305

Should that be 215 x 16, Andrew?

I have only run16" since January 2009, prior to that, road tyres T1R's 215/45 x 15. Track day tyres Bridgestone RE55's 205/50 15 Front,215/45x15Rear.The only problem is that they only do a 225/45x16, now if I could get a set of 85th aniversery wheels.......

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT