Sign In   Register

Topic

No Reversing Lights 13 years 11 months ago #13579

• alias's Avatar Topic Author
  • alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
For some reason, I seem to have no reversing lights. I've changed both the bulbs, and still nothing.

Any ideas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

No Reversing Lights 13 years 11 months ago #13580

Have a look here... http://www.mgfcar.de/schedules/sb28.jpg seems a pretty simple wiring diagram, power from fuse 11 in the passenger compartment. seems to be share with the brake lights, so are they working???

If so, could be loom damage at the boot hinge area, or a switch problem which I would presume is near the gerbox, but thats beyond me I'm afraid!
Older but certainly not wiser!

No Reversing Lights 13 years 11 months ago #13581

Have a look here... http://www.mgfcar.de/schedules/sb28.jpg seems a pretty simple wiring diagram, power from fuse 11 in the passenger compartment. seems to be share with the brake lights, so are they working???

If so, could be loom damage at the boot hinge area, or a switch problem which I would presume is near the gerbox, but thats beyond me I'm afraid!

We had this problem and after checking the fuse, the bulbs and the loom, I changed the switch and voila - reversing lights again.
The switch button wears over time and is no longer depressed sufficiently to activate.

To check whether it is the switch you will need to disconnect the wires from the switch. With the ignition on bridge the two wires - if the reversing lights come on, it's the switch.

Although you can access the switch from the N/S/R wheel arch, you need to open up the engine access hatch under the parcel shelf to disconnect/reconnect the loom.
David
:shrug:

No Reversing Lights 13 years 11 months ago #13583

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

I've still got brake lights - It was the first thing I checked :) Thank you for the diagram, I'll have a look once it has stopped raining.

We had this problem and after checking the fuse, the bulbs and the loom, I changed the switch and voila - reversing lights again.
The switch button wears over time and is no longer depressed sufficiently to activate.

To check whether it is the switch you will need to disconnect the wires from the switch. With the ignition on bridge the two wires - if the reversing lights come on, it's the switch.

Although you can access the switch from the N/S/R wheel arch, you need to open up the engine access hatch under the parcel shelf to disconnect/reconnect the loom.

This might be a really stupid question, but what does the switch look like? Are they expensive to replace?

No Reversing Lights 13 years 11 months ago #13586

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
This is the reversing light switch. Approximately under the clutch slave cylinder, on the passenger side, towards the passenger seat.

[img][img]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/CJJ326/MGTF/Technical/Clutch%20Change/ReversingSwitch01.jpg[/img][/img]

No Reversing Lights 13 years 11 months ago #13591

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

This is the reversing light switch. Approximately under the clutch slave cylinder, on the passenger side, towards the passenger seat.

Thank you. Am I actually going to be able to get to that, or will I need to raise the car up and climb in under neath or something?

No Reversing Lights 13 years 11 months ago #13592

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
It would be an underneath job for me, but as said, you need to go in from the top as well to disconnect it.

No Reversing Lights 13 years 11 months ago #13594

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

It would be an underneath job for me, but as said, you need to go in from the top as well to disconnect it.

Oh dear... My car gets parked in the road, and I don't really fancy trying to climb underneath her where she is!

No Reversing Lights 13 years 11 months ago #13599

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Must be friends close by with a drive, maybe even a fellow f'er. You could use mine, but I think it might be a bit far.

No Reversing Lights 13 years 11 months ago #13611

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
I think I'm going to leave it until I get to work tomorrow. There's loads of space, and I'm less likely to get run over.

Thank you for the offer, but you're definitely too far :)

No Reversing Lights 13 years 11 months ago #13685

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Flopsy is all fixed. The switch has had a good clean, and my reversing lights are back! Thank you all for your help :)

No Reversing Lights 13 years 11 months ago #13686

Flopsy is all fixed. The switch has had a good clean, and my reversing lights are back! Thank you all for your help :)

Good to hear, you're reversing safely again!:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT