Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MOT Advisory... minor flaking rust on Subframes and suspension parts 13 years 11 months ago #13238

Is it something I should worry about, just somehow get underneath and wire brush/treat/paint, or just leave
Older but certainly not wiser!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MOT Advisory... minor flaking rust on Subframes and suspension parts 13 years 11 months ago #13241

Probably just the MOT guy being cautious but certainly worth doing. My front subframe was covered in surface rust and have just finished cleaning it up with a wire wheel brush on the grinder -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100mm-4-TWIST-KNOT-WIRE-WHEEL-BRUSH-ANGLE-GRINDER-/220597768504?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item335ca6d138#ht_1544wt_991

Then treated it with rust converter, then anti rust paint and a black top coat - looks fab now:)

The subframe is quite thick steel but worth treating now especially if you plan to keep the car long term.
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

MOT Advisory... minor flaking rust on Subframes and suspension parts 13 years 11 months ago #13245

Probably just the MOT guy being cautious but certainly worth doing. My front subframe was covered in surface rust and have just finished cleaning it up with a wire wheel brush on the grinder -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100mm-4-TWIST-KNOT-WIRE-WHEEL-BRUSH-ANGLE-GRINDER-/220597768504?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item335ca6d138#ht_1544wt_991

Then treated it with rust converter, then anti rust paint and a black top coat - looks fab now:)

The subframe is quite thick steel but worth treating now especially if you plan to keep the car long term.

Good advice there.:yesnod:
Must do that on ours!
David
:shrug:

MOT Advisory... minor flaking rust on Subframes and suspension parts 13 years 11 months ago #13246

It is well worth doing, mine are really rusty and i have treated them in the same way, mechanical wire brush, rust treatment and POR 15 which is a marine two part epoxy from Frosts. the anti roll bar was so rusty i thought it would be cheaper to buy a new one, rather than spend ages on removing the rust, i resorted to a file to remove the crud, rustproofed and two coats of black hammerite and its better than new. the original paint coating is minimal and is why the parts rust so easialy, bear in mind that they are Metro subframes and they were very bad with the metal moth ~ did you see the article in Safety Fast (MG Car Club Mag) about "project shed" wher the rear subframe was so bad he said it had more holes in it than a Tetley Tea Bag. Regards Bryan

MOT Advisory... minor flaking rust on Subframes and suspension parts 13 years 11 months ago #13257

Right that seems like a project for the winter then!

But....

How do you get underneath?? I have axle stands etc so thats all I can do!

MOT Advisory... minor flaking rust on Subframes and suspension parts 13 years 11 months ago #13266

Yes that was the advisory I had on Slave's last MOT. I would do it but where's the fun in wire brushing when you can be driving around with your top down. :dunno:

MOT Advisory... minor flaking rust on Subframes and suspension parts 13 years 11 months ago #13268

Yes that was the advisory I had on Slave's last MOT. I would do it but where's the fun in wire brushing when you can be driving around with your top down. :dunno:

Well Kara, not wishing to offend the local populus I don't drive with my top down, but I am sure people would love to see you...

:lollol:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT