Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

My handbrake has gone all floppy! 13 years 11 months ago #12995

Oo-er. :skeptical:

So yeah, my handbrake is all floppy now but only in the disengaged position. So it keeps setting the light off but it doesn't engage the brakes or anything. It'll just flop back up and wobble around a bit annoyingly and make the light on the dash flash on and off.

Couldn't be the cable as it works just fine in the engaged position, so have I just loosened the stick somehow with all my fiddling around?

I should note it's solid as a rock when upright and engaged. :whistle:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My handbrake has gone all floppy! 13 years 11 months ago #12998

i've seen a how to on fixing this somewhere i know i have.... wheres CCJ :dc:
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

My handbrake has gone all floppy! 13 years 11 months ago #13001

Mines like that too :(

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

My handbrake has gone all floppy! 13 years 11 months ago #13014

Oo-er. :skeptical:

So yeah, my handbrake is all floppy now but only in the disengaged position. So it keeps setting the light off but it doesn't engage the brakes or anything. It'll just flop back up and wobble around a bit annoyingly and make the light on the dash flash on and off.

Couldn't be the cable as it works just fine in the engaged position, so have I just loosened the stick somehow with all my fiddling around?

I should note it's solid as a rock when upright and engaged. :whistle:

Could be a couple of things, first check that the rear calipers are not seized. Other possibility is that the cable has stretched, if it has, its an easy fix. take the bottom out of the arm rest and there is a cable adjuster just underneath, a quarter or half turn adjustment is usually enough.
Chris

My handbrake has gone all floppy! 13 years 11 months ago #13016

Could be a couple of things, first check that the rear calipers are not seized. Other possibility is that the cable has stretched, if it has, its an easy fix. take the bottom out of the arm rest and there is a cable adjuster just underneath, a quarter or half turn adjustment is usually enough.
Chris

Chris is spot on.

Check the brake levers on the rear calipers are moving freely, before adjusting the cable. Adjust the cable so that the levers are not pulled from their stops more than 2mm, otherwise you will have the brakes dragging.

I have a couple of how-tos regarding handbrake/rear calipers that might help also.:bye:
David
:shrug:

My handbrake has gone all floppy! 13 years 11 months ago #13046

Ah great stuff, glad it's an easy fix.

Cheers!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT