Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

my little experiment 13 years 11 months ago #12966

thought i'd post up some info on a little experiment i've conducted

last week i took the interior out the TF

and i mean the whole interior that wasn't necessary to me being sat in it and making it move

so the T-bar was already out and has been for a year, also removed for some time are the wheel arches and spare wheel and some generally useless trim items like the plastic trim under the bonnet

also removed was the center console, transmission tunnel, switch panel, passenger seat and harness, carpet, soundproofing etc

all i left in was the main part of the dash, the door cards and my seat and race harness

all in all saving probably what, 80kg?+ the seat alone probs weights 30 or 40kg and the carpet is bleeding heavy as is the soundproofing and the spare wheel is another chunk so id say 80 is conservative

i did this act of exceptional barmyness (evan for me) for reasons semi reveled at todays meet :D

anyway considering i hadn't evan removed 10% of the TFs weight (weighing in at an unladen weight of 1095kg) it made a heck of a difference

the TF has my own version of a stage 1 kit:

enclosed cone filter (but no air ducting atm)
52mm TB
janspeed de-cat
de-baffled back box

it also has a slippy clutch atm

regardless i timed a rough 0-60 (just on a stopwatch nothing scientific) of 7.1 seconds!!! the original 0-60 time of a 1.6 TF should be 9.2 seconds

a TF 160s 0-60 time should be 6.9secs just to put it into perspective, so if i could of properly nailed it off the line (which i couldn't do as my clutch release leaver is sticking) i think i'd of shifted a bit quicker than a TF160

however this lust for speed has come at a price... my beautiful engine note is ruined as all i can hear is the belts wineing through the firewall... the road noise is annoying as heck... i couldn't reach the window switch so had to pull over to put it up and every time i get in the car when its raining the bare metal floor needs cleaning! argh

not to mention the front end of the car is TOO light and at speed twitchs all over (especially when shifting from 2nd to 3rd at full tank... the front end pitches up violently as power is reapplied and it's a bit interesting if done at the wrong time... like on the apex of a round about at 60mph!)

anyway was an interesting experiment so thought i'd share as im not very well and extremely bored!
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

my little experiment 13 years 11 months ago #12967

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Hope yer feeling better Adam:yesnod:

(interesting post there btw, with some impressive figures)

my little experiment 13 years 11 months ago #12968

Hope yer feeling better Adam:yesnod:

(interesting post there btw, with some impressive figures)

thanks mate, having arthritis sucks lol

the figures regarding weight and claimed manufactures 0-60 times came from this site

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/MGTF/mgtf05.html

one i quite like :) it's very nerdy

as for my 'figures' regarding how much weight i lost from my TF i think i probably lost over 100kg but i can't prove it so the 80kg figure was what engineers call a professional WAG*

the 0-60 time is a hard number though and although it may be out by .1 of a second or so it's still a huge improvement on the MG-TF 115s claimed 0-60 time :)

*Wild Ass Guess :p
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

my little experiment 13 years 11 months ago #12974

And I can confirm that Adam's cheap and cheerful exhaust modification (opening up the standard backbox and removing the contents before welding it back up) sounded really good.:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

my little experiment 13 years 11 months ago #12989

And I can confirm that Adam's cheap and cheerful exhaust modification (opening up the standard backbox and removing the contents before welding it back up) sounded really good.:yesnod:

thanks bud :) never knew you cared lol... come to think of it i didnt have a clue who u were yesterday! lol

my little experiment 13 years 11 months ago #12991

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
There may be rolling road days coming up, so we can get some real figures for you.
You can't do 0-60 times with a stopwatch. never mind 0.1 seconds out, it wouldn't be unrealistic to epect a swing of 1 second or more.
Lets get your car tested once and for all and we can compare, it will be interesting to see the results. I think mine may be a bit down as I haven't had it done since I did the head gasket.

my little experiment 13 years 11 months ago #12997

There may be rolling road days coming up, so we can get some real figures for you.
You can't do 0-60 times with a stopwatch. never mind 0.1 seconds out, it wouldn't be unrealistic to epect a swing of 1 second or more.
Lets get your car tested once and for all and we can compare, it will be interesting to see the results. I think mine may be a bit down as I haven't had it done since I did the head gasket.

i have no idea what bhp my cars running, i'd be impressed if it was anything over 120 :) but the rolling road day sounds like a great chance to find out :)

i was more surprised the difference the weight made, i know the stopwatch test wasn't fantastically scientific but it certainly feels quicker after a bit of a diet and its defiantly much quicker than a poultry 9.2 seconds lol

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT