Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Help needed!!!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #12852

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Firstly hello people, im new to the forum!!!!
I purchased a 1997 1.8i mgf late last year which was pretty much put straight into storage over the winter, on getting it out this week and taking it for the m.o.t we have discovered a few things i need advice on correcting!!

No 1 Rear brake caliper seized
No 2 Handbrake only operating at 13%
No 3 Horn not working (works when alarm activated)
No 4 New back box required (Any tips would be fantastic as on first glance it looks like the bolts are well and truly seized!!)

Also on a none mot related issue the ride height seems really low compared to other mgf's ive seen resulting in the back box scraping the ground alot hence wearing a hole in it!! whats the easiest way to add height to the susspension??

i bought this car as something to tinker with and have fun in the summer so intend to do as much of the work as possible myself:confused::confused:
all advice appreciated, regards stewart.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Help needed!!!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #13047

I'm bumping this thread as it had been posted in the wrong section and so had no replies.

Welcome to The-T-Bar Stewart! Hope you find the answers you need! :)

Kara x

Help needed!!!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #13051

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Welcome to the forum.

I purchased a 1997 1.8i mgf late last year which was pretty much put straight into storage over the winter, on getting it out this week and taking it for the m.o.t we have discovered a few things i need advice on correcting!!

No 2 Handbrake only operating at 13%.

These 2 are probably connected. The quickest and easiest solution is new calipers and can be sourced off ebay for around £70 each. You can take the calipers off and try and free them up a bit, but you may end up replacing them anyway. Also check that the pads aren't seized in the runners as this will cause similar problems.

No 3 Horn not working (works when alarm activated).

Not sure on this one, but it could be the rotary coupler in the steering wheel, or simply a fuse blown.

No 4 New back box required (Any tips would be fantastic as on first glance it looks like the bolts are well and truly seized!!).

You will probably end up cutting the bolts/nuts off. You could try easing oil or localised heat to try and free them.

Have a look here. May give some pointers for you http://www.the-t-bar.com/showthread.php?t=83

Also on a none mot related issue the ride height seems really low compared to other mgf's ive seen resulting in the back box scraping the ground alot hence wearing a hole in it!! whats the easiest way to add height to the susspension??

i bought this car as something to tinker with and have fun in the summer so intend to do as much of the work as possible myself:confused::confused:

There are garages out there with a hydrolastic suspension pump. They will pump it to the correct ride height for you. Try an X-part dealer, or people in your area may be able to help.

Help needed!!!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #13074

No 2 Handbrake only operating at 13%
No 3 Horn not working (works when alarm activated)
No 4 New back box required (Any tips would be fantastic as on first glance it looks like the bolts are well and truly seized!!)

Clive has pretty much covered your problems. I would just add that there are a couple of posts about rear calipers / handbrake problems in my how-tos.
David
:shrug:

Help needed!!!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #13091

Hi Stewart,

All of the problems you have on your MGF are common, the seized rear callipers/ handbrake inefficency are most likely related and as both Clive and David have indicated could be solved by replacing the rear callipers, which include the handbrake mechanism.
please take note of the correct set up instructions after fitting them. the pads could also be sticking in the carrier, also what are the pads and discs like?? My MGF had been unused for quite a while, the discs were so rusty they needed replacing and the pistons had seized in the callipers.

Horn, as David said could be a fuse or the collector ring, most likely a fuse.

The suspension pump up should cost you around £50.00 and can only be done by someone with a proper suspension pump, you car would seem to be so low that there could be additional problems. have a look on the internet for someone in your area to do this work. ~ it is also a good idea to have the front and rear wheel tracking done after the pump up, as the car comes up the toe in angles alter and create excessive tyre wear.

Hope this all helps ~ regards Bryan

Help needed!!!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #13130

welcome to the forum Stewart....It's a condition of joining that you show us pics of your car though....

:whistle:
2003 MGTF Monogram Edition. Celestial Blue, Black Leather.No. 19 of 99 Built 11 Spoke Alloys. AP brakes.

Help needed!!!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #13153

The suspension pump up should cost you around £50.00 and can only be done by someone with a proper suspension pump, you car would seem to be so low that there could be additional problems. have a look on the internet for someone in your area to do this work.

http://www.hydragas.co.uk/

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT