Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Starter Motor Problems! 14 years 1 week ago #12539

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi all!

Well, I finally ventured into my garage to give "Stealth bat" the once over. I haven't turned the engine since December because quite simply - she wouldn't fire up! I checked the battery, fine, checked the water, fine, checked water levels, fine, checked the oil - no "mayo" on either cap or dip stick, colour good, fine. Blew the tyres up, fine.

I then "rocked the car" and rolled her back & forth, fine.

Took a big breath, got in, switched on the ignition all system lights did what the were supposed to do, fine.

Turned the ignition switch on and NOTHING!

Slight click from rear - could be stater?

Got into my trusty Landrover and towed her out of the garage backwards.

Got her on the straight and tow started her - SHE FIRED, YIPEE!

Took her round the block and remembered why I bought her in the first place last August.

Got home, put her in the garage and turned the engine off.

Tried to start her and NOTHING!

I think It's got to be the Starter Motor and/or contacts.

Before I take her to the garage or call out an Auto Electrician on Monday - anybody, (Clive especially!) got any more pointers to offer?

I'd be gratefull to hear from you because apart from this issue, I've got a list as long as my arm of things I want to get on with the "bat"

Many thanks!

Richard

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Starter Motor Problems! 14 years 1 week ago #12542

Starter motor problems are not uncommon on the k series,

Fortunatly it is normally an easy fix.

Do the dash lights dim when you try to start her, if not it is proberbly the terminal on the signal wire (smaller one) gets dirty, often wiggling it is enough but eventually one has to change the connector.

I expect the sound you heard was the stepper motor.

If the lights dim then the starter may be stuck, try rocking the car back and fowards with it in 4th or 5th.

Another way of getting it diagnosed is calling the RAC/AA/etc, if you don't have home start jump it and go to the mother in laws..........

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Starter Motor Problems! 14 years 1 week ago #12545

Sounds like the starter solenoid is stuck. It pushes the starter into the path of the flywheel and engages the teeth. We used to have it all the time on the old A-Series Mini's. The trick is to tap the solenoid if you can get to it with a small hammer - if your lucky it will unstick it and usually they'll be ok from then on in... under-use causes it to stick.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT