Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Wheel conundrum 03 TF 14 years 2 weeks ago #12484

I have another conundrum here regards my TF 03 version.
Was suprised when I lifted the bonnet to find no spare wheel,jack or wheel brace just a great big void and positioned at the bottom a polystyrene box with a pair of safety glasses and a tin or rusty crazy foam! (that didnt work.)
I presume Rover at that time were for cutting cost but hey,
So I decided to replace the void with a spare wheel.
Do I go for a space saver, another alloy ,a steel or what I thought.
Having looked into it, I came up with a confusing amount of nothing really.
A space saver is 14",
An Alloy is ok but what tyres size do I use,and what about a jack n tools.
Well I came across an old 200 series rover for the tools and a polystyrene box that is shaped to fit in the spare wheel inner, and as for the wheel I have a new alloy I found but still undecided as to what size tyre to put on it.
Does any one know why the space saver was an 14" wheel?
And whats the pros and cons regarding tyre sizes for spare wheels.
I assume the better option is to stick with a 185 as it will fit the front ok and will be a get me home for the rear,
Any advise appreciated
Thanks
Vex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wheel conundrum 03 TF 14 years 2 weeks ago #12488

hi same here on my 02 but don't blame Rover, many new cars don't have spare wheels today!! depens what wheels and brakes your car has! if you car is a 160 with big AP brakes in front the ideal spare would be a 16" alloy but if that turns out to be expensive to buy, find a 14" proper spare wheel and if you get a puncture in the front jack the car at the rear remove one of the rear alloys, and fit the spare on the rear, then jack front and fit the rear alloy to the front!!! complicated eh? or just buy another can of those tyre inflator things for when you get a puncture at the front!
FM :rolleyes:

Wheel conundrum 03 TF 14 years 2 weeks ago #12494

Hi, Mines a 03 TF 135 ,so alloy 15" all round I got a 15" alloy for a spare but havent had a tyre fitted as yet,havent decided which one to go for

Wheel conundrum 03 TF 14 years 2 weeks ago #12495

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
To be honest, if all you are going to do is use it as a get you home spare then I would just go for a cheap tyre, but never be tempted to use it as a normal wheel.

If you are using the spare you should use it for the minimum time and keep below 50 mph.

Wheel conundrum 03 TF 14 years 2 weeks ago #12498

I think welove MGFs sell them for about 15quid complete with good tyre, that's where I got mine! and the tool kit!
FM :rolleyes:

Wheel conundrum 03 TF 14 years 2 weeks ago #12502

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I would go for the full size wheel if possible as it gives more weight over the front axle and helps stability.

Wheel conundrum 03 TF 14 years 2 weeks ago #12504

The supplied spare in our ZS180 is too small to fit on the front, the ZR160 only came with a pump and gunk.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wheel conundrum 03 TF 14 years 2 weeks ago #12505

I tried the spare wheel in the void from the old 200 and brought it home it made a great deal of difference to the handling just seemed to be more solid some how.
shame the hole dia wasnt right.Must only be a few mills out but wouldnt fit as a spare.
I was wondering why the space saver wheel that was fitted to some TFs should be 14"?must be a bigger profile tyre maybe

Wheel conundrum 03 TF 14 years 6 days ago #12665

Just a note: that the old 200 series wheel are not right for the f or tf as the pcd is different only by a small amount but still wont fit over the studs ,and wouldnt fasten even if it was.
Im now sorted with a new ally n tyre thanks

vex

Wheel conundrum 03 TF 14 years 6 days ago #12677

Great news - having somethign in the front well definitely makes a difference to the handling.

Wheel conundrum 03 TF 14 years 5 days ago #12689

Yes really did make a difference to the whole thing having that extra weight over the front end.
Might be a bit of kidology as to why but could def feel difference

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT