Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

What should I do? 14 years 1 week ago #12456

OK.. car is running reasonably at the moment, a few niggles, could do with a service but on the whole, I am loving her...
Here's my dilemma, I will have around £1500 to spend on car related things in the next few months, and have to decide whether to spend a bit of money on the car, or trade up to a TF.
Car has done around 80k, is purple, with cream leather, and quite a nice example (as some of you on here will know having seen her last summer)...

I am hoping to be able to get around £1000 - £1500 for her, so would have a budget of between £2500 and £3000, would ideally like leather, but that is not vital... thoughts please people?
2003 MGTF Monogram Edition. Celestial Blue, Black Leather.No. 19 of 99 Built 11 Spoke Alloys. AP brakes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What should I do? 14 years 1 week ago #12457

Well you have a few things to consider:

1. Mileage - 80K is nothing for a K series engine - they are pretty bullet proof. The TF you may get for £2500 will likely have half that already on it at least so would potentially give a few more years but not THAT much difference.

2. Suspension - Hydragas suspension soaks up the bumps in the road, very good for a small car. The TF has coil springs (more 'normal type') and so will likely seem a harsher ride. Some love it some hate it. Personally I love hydragas as it's fairly maintenance free (if you don't have leaky spheres) and is a nice ride - soft when you want and hard when you need!

3. Bodywork - sad to say that on what I've seen the condition of the body is not dependant on age or mileage. Indeed once 'Project Drive' kicked in the quality of undersealing and paint became quite shocking. So much so that many TF's seem to be worse rust-wise than older F's! It's luck of the draw as there are rusty F's about - but both Fleur and Meg have survived remarkably well for a 14 and a 12 year old cars!

4. Looks - do you like the F or TF front? I am odd as I love the F sides but prefer the TF front (althoguh I am goign to be going the LE style bumper route when our molds are sorted and production begins!). A bumper replacement with headlights will only be £200 (ish) plus paint.

5. Attachment - do you LOVE your car? If so then the question is already answered! LOL

To be honest you could troll eBay with a couple of hundred quid and get some amazing interior upgrades (I picked up Meg's full beige leather interior including all panels for £200)...... plus you have a very uncommon colour (same as Fleur) - Amaranth was a fantastic pearlescent (almost flip) blue/purple paint finish.... polished up it is amazing in the sunshine.

What should I do? 14 years 1 week ago #12472

Is changing to a TF actually trading up?

Unless you are into having a newer car then maybe or prefer the look of the TF but I personally think the F is a better package.

Besides if the current F is due a service you'll have to spend out on this to get the best sale price.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

What should I do? 14 years 1 week ago #12479

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Is changing to a TF actually trading up?

Yes.

Hope that clears that up for you. :)

What should I do? 14 years 1 week ago #12480

anyone know (roughly) what the power on my F would be compared to a "new" TF (obviously the TF 160 would be a lot more)
2003 MGTF Monogram Edition. Celestial Blue, Black Leather.No. 19 of 99 Built 11 Spoke Alloys. AP brakes.

What should I do? 14 years 1 week ago #12481

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

Yes.

Hope that clears that up for you. :)

what Clive said :)

What should I do? 14 years 1 week ago #12500

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

anyone know (roughly) what the power on my F would be compared to a "new" TF (obviously the TF 160 would be a lot more)

I would think it will be around the 110 - 118bhp mark depending on the state of the engine if it is an Mpi.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT