Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Meg failed her MOT!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12393

KILL ME NOW!!!!

Took her for her yearly once over and KAPOW failed....

Two front tyres and a stop light bulb that blew on the way there (as it worked before!)...

AND

WELDING!! Passenger sill rear needs a patch and drivers side lower rear edge is a bit rusty. I have already cut the rust out and will make some patches up tomorrow and weld them in! The tyres will cost me £150!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Meg failed her MOT!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12394

sorry to hear this mate, hope it gets sorted out soon!!
FM :rolleyes:

Meg failed her MOT!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12395

Thanks, Gonna weld it up tomorrow and the tyres should be in for Monday. I'm sticking with the Falken 452's I had put on her last time as the fronts have lasted 30K! (the rears only managed 20K).

Meg failed her MOT!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12397

Aww sorry to hear the news hun! :frown:

Hope you get Meg sorted nice & quick! :grouphug:

Although shame on you for not noticing the tyres! :dc:

;)

Meg failed her MOT!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12399

Aww sorry to hear the news hun! :frown:

Hope you get Meg sorted nice & quick! :grouphug:

Although shame on you for not noticing the tyres! :dc:

;)

Ta... The tyres I'm not worried about as the MOT at my local Mr Clutch is only £26 (most Mr Clutch have a low price MOT by the way!) and free retest within 10 working days - so I knew the tyres were a gonna , just didn't expect the welding!

Meg failed her MOT!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12419

Well here's day one:

Rust cut out and the interior de-rusted/primered as best I can:

The patch I made up to replace the rusty bit:

After several hours of trying to make my poxy welder do what it is supposed to do:

Wasn't as smooth as I had initially wanted, but after some grinding it's not too bad at all (it's flatter than it looks in the picture!). Tomorrow I will seal the last few bits and then cover it in the rubbery stuff that they used originally. Then it's on to the other side!

Meg failed her MOT!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12424

Looks like that could be a trouble spot as our cars get older, a good idea to get some rust proofing wax into that area while its still healthy.
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Meg failed her MOT!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12425

Bad news about the MOT Adam, glad you're well under way to getting sorted though :yesnod:

Might have to come up to you so you can do mine :dc: Found it's gone through a bit on the drivers side but I think it's just the end of the outer sill rather than anything structural

Meg failed her MOT!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12434

Bad news about the MOT Adam, glad you're well under way to getting sorted though :yesnod:

Might have to come up to you so you can do mine :dc: Found it's gone through a bit on the drivers side but I think it's just the end of the outer sill rather than anything structural

No Probs mate - I am a dab hand at spraying hot molten welding wire about now! Best bet I found was to cut it out as much as possible. When she's really warmed up in the summer I'll waxoyl things.... this time I just shoved a hose in the bog hole and washed it all out. Couldn't believe the amount of mud and crap that came out of the drain holes!

Anyway here she is after another 5 hours!

Passenger side (big hole in previous pictures):

Drivers side (just the lower 'edge' was rusted away so I did it at the same time.):

I haven't yet sprayed any of the rubbery coating stuff on as I couldn't find any in black yesterday! Hopefully when I go for the tyres tomorrow morning I'll pick some up, then nip over for the pasrt re-test in the afternoon.....

To be honest once ground down and a very thin skim of Chemical Metal on the parts that were bumpy welds it looks pretty smooth. I'm well chuffed! The last thing I welded was a Metro I bought for £25 about 10 years ago.....and that was the last time the welder was used too!

Meg failed her MOT!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12440

Tidy job there - far better than the usual MOT station style of slapping a patch over the rust
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Meg failed her MOT!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12444

Tidy job there - far better than the usual MOT station style of slapping a patch over the rust

LOL Thanks - exactly why I thought I'd try welding again after all this time... I don't trust anyone nowadays!

Meg failed her MOT!! 14 years 1 week ago #12459

SHE PASSED!

The guy who checked her said my welding was very neat and tidy - I'm chuffed for a second day!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT