Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Wheel refurb 14 years 1 month ago #11934

Hi all am planning on refurbing a set of wheels, do you think I can do it myself? I think I have an idea about painting, my question is when you are spraying the lacquer over the sparkle silver do you sand it down or you just paint the lacquer on the top coat? Thanks

also would I get good results if I do it from aerosol cans? Thanks
FM :rolleyes:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wheel refurb 14 years 1 month ago #11935

I've not got as far as spraying mine yet but the process I'm following is:
  • Sand
  • Fill with Chemical Metal
  • Sand again
  • Filler primer
  • Sand
  • Normal primer
  • Sand
  • Paint
  • Sand lightly so the paint is dull
  • Lacquer
That's the way I've seen posted over and over again on various different forums. Must admit that when I sprayed my interior I didn't bother to sand the top coat down before the lacquer and that still turned out ok :yesnod:

Wheel refurb 14 years 1 month ago #11936

Thanks for that mate, isn't chemical metal harder tho to sand then normal filler? heard also it settles quickly

Wheel refurb 14 years 1 month ago #11937

Very possible to DIY this - I did Meg's square spokes last year.. just DO NOT TOUCH HALFRAUDS PAINT - it doesn't match and they lie cheat you out of your money. They never compensated me for the crap paint matches they did for my wheels and blamed it on me for using the paint!

Wheel refurb 14 years 1 month ago #11938

Must admit that when I sprayed my interior I didn't bother to sand the top coat down before the lacquer and that still turned out ok :yesnod:

Interior is probably OK but on the exterior you need the extra adhesion to stop the top lacquer from peeling off the surface under hot and cold, and also due to stone chips. :yesnod:

Wheel refurb 14 years 1 month ago #11942

thanks for your help, will not touch halfords paints for sure they're 2000miles away :) Thanks again

Wheel refurb 14 years 1 month ago #11952

thanks for your help, will not touch halfords paints for sure they're 2000miles away :) Thanks again

Haha only just noticed where you are! Lucky you for being so far from Halfrauds!

Wheel refurb 14 years 1 month ago #11957

Well I went to halford when I came to pick up my MG in the UK bought my satnav form them, sevrice wasn't that bad much better than here, only problem being so far from the UK is getting parts for the MG! infact I'm trying to find if I can buy a written off TF to ship down and break for spares

Wheel refurb 14 years 1 month ago #11960

I was taught some of of the painting basics by a friend who is a retired panel beater/sprayer and his method is to apply the laquer to the basecoat as soon as the base is almost touch dry but don't sand the basecoat. By applying the laquer this way it gives good adhesion to the base. Certainly has worked for me.
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Wheel refurb 14 years 4 weeks ago #12052

might be worth a PM to MikeKnight, i know he refurbed his wheels last year :)
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT