Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Symptons 14 years 2 months ago #11094

Hi all, I've recently had my "Mid Life Crisis" back from the garage after having HGF ( it took them a month to fix, don't ask ) the problems I'm now getting are:

Loss of coolant:

Iv'e used approx 7 litres since 27th Jan, I've been bleeding the system, no air is comming out, heater works fine, no overheating, oil temp fine.

I asked at the garage did they replace the coolant after they had it to bits the answer I got was " we put about a couple of litres in to top it up".

So where is it going? :dunno:

Mayo on dipstick:

Shock horror on this one, Asked the garage did they flush out the gunk the answer was " We left it drain overnight ", so no

Horrible squealing from O/S rear:

I thought straight away that this was the Alternator Belt, Ive ajusted it some more, but the noise is still there. It is a new belt I replaced it back in November.

What are the signs of a water pump failure? is it easy to replace i,e DIY?

My car is now in the garage having a MOT, I,ve asked the mechanic to check for any coolant leaks and to find where this noise is comming from, I doubt he will have any answers, as he said he might not have time. being a fellow MG owner ( ZT ) thought he might know what he's doing,Wrong

So I hope someone out there can answer for me. :sad2:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Symptons 14 years 2 months ago #11096

Hi all, I've recently had my "Mid Life Crisis" back from the garage after having HGF ( it took them a month to fix, don't ask ) the problems I'm now getting are:

Loss of coolant:

Iv'e used approx 7 litres since 27th Jan, I've been bleeding the system, no air is comming out, heater works fine, no overheating, oil temp fine.

I asked at the garage did they replace the coolant after they had it to bits the answer I got was " we put about a couple of litres in to top it up".

So where is it going? :dunno:

Mayo on dipstick:

Shock horror on this one, Asked the garage did they flush out the gunk the answer was " We left it drain overnight ", so no

Horrible squealing from O/S rear:

I thought straight away that this was the Alternator Belt, Ive ajusted it some more, but the noise is still there. It is a new belt I replaced it back in November.

What are the signs of a water pump failure? is it easy to replace i,e DIY?

My car is now in the garage having a MOT, I,ve asked the mechanic to check for any coolant leaks and to find where this noise is comming from, I doubt he will have any answers, as he said he might not have time. being a fellow MG owner ( ZT ) thought he might know what he's doing,Wrong

So I hope someone out there can answer for me. :sad2:

Hi Pancho,

Firstly, I have to say I'm not impressed by your garage. No flushing or replacing coolant or oil?

Anyway, that's a lot of coolant to go missing! assuming you don't have plumes of steam from the exhaust, have you checked the usual culprits?
ie underfloor pipes, radiator, radiator bleed screw, inlet manifold gasket or pressure cap?

Mayo will be present if they haven't flushed the system.

Is the squealing present only when driving or is it there whenever the engine is running?

Water pumps usually fail by leaking coolant. Replacement involves removing the timing belt.
David
:shrug:

Symptons 14 years 2 months ago #11108

the coolant could be going any number of places as david has said, personally i'd consider taking that ruddy garage to a small claims court, what a total disaster!

where abouts in the country are you mate? would be happy to come have a look for you if your in the NE

edit: just realized your in mid wales oops
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Symptons 14 years 2 months ago #11123

Sounds like the water pump, I expect the squeeling is the timing belt.

They do tend to go, and you may not notice the coolant leaking until the car is up to temp and water is circulating. If u get underneath and feel around the right hand side of the engine for dampness, thats where the pump is.

Symptons 14 years 2 months ago #11174

the coolant could be going any number of places as david has said, personally i'd consider taking that ruddy garage to a small claims court, what a total disaster!

where abouts in the country are you mate? would be happy to come have a look for you if your in the NE

edit: just realized your in mid wales oops

Well if you fancy a day out you could still come and have a look :whistle:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT