Sign In   Register

Topic

Track days? 14 years 2 months ago #10833

I'd be interested, if this is aimed at novice only track days then count me out as I have done too many and raced for over 6 years on the ovals. It wouldn't be fair mixing it with slower cars, the sessions should be well balanced.

I'm keen to try the F out on track for a change, but don't tell the wife ;)
2000 MGF 1.8i SE Wedgewood
2002 MG ZS200 Trophy Blue
1999 Land Rover Discovery series 2 TD5

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Track days? 14 years 2 months ago #10842

• birks
  • Loves going topless!!!

I'd be interested, if this is aimed at novice only track days then count me out as I have done too many and raced for over 6 years on the ovals. It wouldn't be fair mixing it with slower cars, the sessions should be well balanced.

I'm keen to try the F out on track for a change, but don't tell the wife ;)

well I'm only in if it's complete novices..I agree with you Stamford, should be a good balance...although I'm only interested in having a drive round...don't want to race as such...just to enjoy the experience :yesnod:

This girl doesn't mind getting her hands dirty !!! :lol:

Track days? 14 years 2 months ago #10861

well I'm only in if it's complete novices..I agree with you Stamford, should be a good balance...although I'm only interested in having a drive round...don't want to race as such...just to enjoy the experience :yesnod:

I had a nasty experience at Brands a year ago, it was littered with various cars and drivers of various abilities. However there was some 'Richard Cranium' driving an M5 BMW that broke all the rules and nearly T-boned my ZS. He was overtaking into the corners and caught me in the middle of Graham Hill Bend flat out. The lad must have been about 19 driving a brand new beemer, he was of eastern origin. I marched down to his garage and had a right go, he threatened me with his mates! Gangster talk I think it was...................I said I'll wait outside the track for you then. He saw me parked up and sped off!

I complained to the marshals and they did sweet F.A.

So when you say not wanting to race, some drivers see red and there is nothing you can do. I like a spirited drive on track, but never place myself or another in danger. Afterall it is supposed to be a fun day.

Track days? 14 years 2 months ago #10866

I had a nasty experience at Brands a year ago, it was littered with various cars and drivers of various abilities. However there was some 'Richard Cranium' driving an M5 BMW that broke all the rules and nearly T-boned my ZS. He was overtaking into the corners and caught me in the middle of Graham Hill Bend flat out. The lad must have been about 19 driving a brand new beemer, he was of eastern origin. I marched down to his garage and had a right go, he threatened me with his mates! Gangster talk I think it was...................I said I'll wait outside the track for you then. He saw me parked up and sped off!

I complained to the marshals and they did sweet F.A.

So when you say not wanting to race, some drivers see red and there is nothing you can do. I like a spirited drive on track, but never place myself or another in danger. Afterall it is supposed to be a fun day.

Thats why we are looking at the whole matter of track days, with a high ratio of experienced driver/instructors, strict marshalling with re-education or exclusion for rule breakers. Absolutely no place for idiots.
Chris

Track days? 14 years 2 months ago #10872

This does sound like a great idea.:yesnod:
Any ideas for dates/venue?:dunno:
David
:shrug:

Track days? 14 years 2 months ago #10875

• birks
  • Loves going topless!!!

Thats why we are looking at the whole matter of track days, with a high ratio of experienced driver/instructors, strict marshalling with re-education or exclusion for rule breakers. Absolutely no place for idiots.
Chris

I think I probably have the wrong idea about what a track day is then...I'm up for an instructor/drive with someone experienced and learn a different style of driving, but the sort of thing that Stamford experienced just puts me right off.

Really interested in what you come up with tho Chris, it's a great idea...and if I don't fancy it this time round, I could always just come and watch ...couldn't I?? :hurray:

:whee:

This girl doesn't mind getting her hands dirty !!! :lol:

Track days? 14 years 2 months ago #10876

I think I probably have the wrong idea about what a track day is then...I'm up for an instructor/drive with someone experienced and learn a different style of driving, but the sort of thing that Stamford experienced just puts me right off.

Really interested in what you come up with tho Chris, it's a great idea...and if I don't fancy it this time round, I could always just come and watch ...couldn't I?? :hurray:

Of course that will be fine :-)

Track days? 14 years 2 months ago #10877

This does sound like a great idea.:yesnod:
Any ideas for dates/venue?:dunno:

As they say its in negotiations at the moment, will post dates and venues in events when things are more concrete. Format would be probably a full day 9 - 4.30 or 5. 9-10 briefing and any special track arrangements. 10-12 track time with timed runs (we stick a timing transponder to the number plate) and instructor input.12-1 lunch. 1-2 analysis of lap times and where you can improve. 2-4 track time and more instructor input. Check of final time sheets ( the 4 most improved drivers get a demostration ride in a full race spec GT car at race pace as a prize).
Chris

Track days? 14 years 2 months ago #10884

As they say its in negotiations at the moment, will post dates and venues in events when things are more concrete. Format would be probably a full day 9 - 4.30 or 5. 9-10 briefing and any special track arrangements. 10-12 track time with timed runs (we stick a timing transponder to the number plate) and instructor input.12-1 lunch. 1-2 analysis of lap times and where you can improve. 2-4 track time and more instructor input. Check of final time sheets ( the 4 most improved drivers get a demostration ride in a full race spec GT car at race pace as a prize).
Chris

Clive was that £40 or £400?!

im defiantly in! as long as im not on placement end-err-saving peoples lives :nurse:

sorry to hear about your HGF phil!

i've got a serious mystery on my TF atm, just post in the tec area on it :(
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Track days? 14 years 2 months ago #10909

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Just for you Adam, a special price of £400. ;) Pay it to me and I will make sure that Quicksilver gets it. :whistle:

Track days? 14 years 2 months ago #10920

Don't let that put you off, when managed correctly with groupings of abilities it runs much smoother. Club MSV are finding this out the hard way, they used to run all day 20 minute sessions with anything from a novice to full race prepped cars out there. Now they do 'taster' sessions and novice sessions with available tuition.

Chris

Interesting information here, how come you can have timed sessions? I thought that was not allowed due to MSA regulations? If so it makes for an interesting day! My one and only hope is that it is not too far north and that I have got the ZS belts done in time!

The GT spec ride sounds good, but I hate being a passenger!

Track days? 14 years 2 months ago #10946

Don't let that put you off, when managed correctly with groupings of abilities it runs much smoother. Club MSV are finding this out the hard way, they used to run all day 20 minute sessions with anything from a novice to full race prepped cars out there. Now they do 'taster' sessions and novice sessions with available tuition.

Interesting information here, how come you can have timed sessions? I thought that was not allowed due to MSA regulations? If so it makes for an interesting day! My one and only hope is that it is not too far north and that I have got the ZS belts done in time!

The GT spec ride sounds good, but I hate being a passenger!

You can have timed sessions as long as they are for training purposes and not for competition. The MSA have let us use this format before as long as we make no direct comparison of lap times between drivers and concentrate only on the level of improvement of individuals.
Chris

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT