Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGTF Stepspeed Gears 14 years 2 months ago #10372

So far since buying my Stepspeed I have never taken it out of the automatic gear mode but would like to drive it manually in sports mode.

Can anyone tell me since I do not have a handbook for the car, at what point can I move the gear shift to the left and put it in sports mode. Can I do it from standing still just like a normal manual car or do I have to be driving at a certain speed first?

Take a look at this video.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

MGTF Stepspeed Gears 14 years 2 months ago #10373

So far since buying my Stepspeed I have never taken it out of the automatic gear mode but would like to drive it manually in sports mode.

Can anyone tell me since I do not have a handbook for the car, at what point can I move the gear shift to the left and put it in sports mode. Can I do it from standing still just like a normal manual car or do I have to be driving at a certain speed first??:confused:

I may stand corrected but i think you can use it manually OR auto from standstill.

MGTF Stepspeed Gears 14 years 2 months ago #10375

That would be good if I can, I am worried about doing some damage to the gears and always leave it in auto:dunno:

MGTF Stepspeed Gears 14 years 2 months ago #10380

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Can anyone tell me since I do not have a handbook for the car, at what point can I move the gear shift to the left and put it in sports mode. Can I do it from standing still just like a normal manual car or do I have to be driving at a certain speed first??:confused:

Hi,

This may help..

MINI Cooper with ZF ecoTronic VT1F Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
Gearbox control selections, modes, functions, terms, and behavior description notes from published materials and help by MINI, BMW Group, and ZF Getriebe.
This chart shows how this state-of-the-art gearbox works in practical driving situations in each of three Selections.
Gearbox “Selections” (shifter-engaged mechanical choices) Notes: Do not push-start, and do not tow or push in Neutral; see Owner’s Manual.
Shifter-Left Shifter-Right Shifter-Tip +/- Bold characters are displayed in the speedometer (P R N D SD 1 2 3 4 5 6 EP).
Park Locks the transmission. Engine will start without brake pedal depressed.
Engine is computer-limited to 4000rpm.
Reverse Engages Reverse Clutch Pack. Engine is computer-limited to 4000rpm. Uses lowest
gearbox ratio as fixed gear to yield 20mph as rpm-limited top speed in Reverse.
Neutral Frees the transmission. Engine will start without brake pedal depressed.
Engine is computer-limited to 4000rpm. Do not coast, tow or push the car in neutral.
Drive CVT/SAT Normal position for most driving situations. Selection gives flexible driving characteristics,
access to all transmission features, and the best fuel economy.
SportDrive CVT/SAT Termed “Sport program” in the MINI Owner’s Manual and very similar to Drive, SD uses
20% higher engine rpm and crisp control of the transmission ratios to achieve higher
performance. ZF materials say the shift lever is positioned to Low selection.
Manual 1,2,3,4,5,6
(“Steptronic”)
Virtual sequential six-speed manual (software-based) puts fun and control into driverdefined
situations. The transmission “holds a gear” (even under significant loads) unless
the engine limits at 6000rpm (creates upshift) or drops below a set rpm (creates downshift:
2000rpm 6>5; 1800rpm 5>4; 1600rpm 4>3; 1400rpm 3>2). Full stop resets to “2” (Pullaway
function). 1st must be manually selected. Fixed ratios (“gears”) are 0.562:1 6th,
0.675:1 5th, 0.847:1 4th, 1.117:1 3rd, 1.622:1 2nd and 2.416:1 1st, and 5.76:1 constant ratio.
Low The ZF Group materials show a physical lever position for “Low” which is used by BMW in
the MINI for SportDrive. “Low” is mentioned in some BMW materials.
Gearbox “Modes” (throttle pedal position-activated behaviors) Notes:
CVT-mode CVT-mode N/A in Steptronic Native gearbox behavior gives turbine-smooth acceleration if the throttle pedal is held
within the range between 0% and the resistance point/switch position (about 85%).
Pushing the pedal past the resistance point engages the slower virtual SAT-mode.
SAT-mode SAT-mode Kick-Down Software enabled shift simulation of a 6-speed (geared) Stepped Automatic Transmission
(SAT) is engaged in D or SD, or Kick-Down to next logical lower “gear” in Steptronic, by
depressing the throttle pedal past the resistance point switch (floored).
Gearbox “Functions” (software engineered behaviors) Notes:
Creep Creep Creep Clutch pressure is maintained to initiate forward movement if brake pedal is released.
Crawler Crawler Crawler Very low speed functionality to stable behavior for parking lots and driveway maneuvers,
suppresses lever selections (D, SD, Step) until 1600rpm. Some “rocking” complaints.
Pull-away [Set-off] Pull-away [Set-off] Pull-away [Set-off] Transmission thrust belt positioned onto the fully-open Primary variator pulley shaft to give
maximum purchase (lowest ratio). Gearbox switches out of this mode at specified rpm.
Transmission characteristics change above 2,000rpm.
Smooth to 50mph Not enabled in SD Not enabled in Step In Drive only, the engine is heavily managed for efficiency until approximately 50mph.
Downhill Downhill Downhill Excellent engine-braking and speed control. Occasional alarming behavior on certain
downslopes in D or SD; engine comes up to 5000rpm and holds until braked to a stop.
Fast-off Fast-off Fast-off Quickly lifting off the throttle pedal (“fast off”) holds higher engine rpm with a lower set ratio
in the gearbox to make re-accelerating (pickup) intuitive and brisk.
Overdrive Not enabled in SD Not enabled in Step Economy cruise mode only in Drive, using lower rpm and highest gearbox ratio for
efficiency and better fuel economy. Cruise Control is very effective with overdrive.
EmergencyProgram Separate function Separate function Detected serious faults will display “EP” in the speedometer and limit the engine to
3000rpm. Unusual transmission failures may prevent this intended limp-home mode.
© John Ewald 2002, 2003, 2004

Steve

MGTF Stepspeed Gears 14 years 2 months ago #10384

Thanks for that Steve

MGTF Stepspeed Gears 14 years 2 months ago #10414

You can change gearbox modes at any speed or at a standstill. If you drive manually you will get the best performance by short shifting to 4th and then driving hard. The gearbox will still change up or down automatically if you are under or over revving. I can send you a copy of the ZF gearbox literature if you want it.
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

MGTF Stepspeed Gears 14 years 2 months ago #10420

Hi Chris, if you can send me a copy of the literature that would be great!

Thanks Nigel

MGTF Stepspeed Gears 14 years 2 months ago #10431

Hi Chris, if you can send me a copy of the literature that would be great!

Thanks Nigel

just pm me with where you want it to go it is quite a big pdf.
Chris

MGTF Stepspeed Gears 14 years 2 months ago #10438

just pm me with where you want it to go it is quite a big pdf.
Chris

quick note to our beloved leaders (come on clive you know you want to give me your windstop :p)

could this be uploaded to the site? as part of the guides, obv copyright info may need checking but would be great for the step-speed guys?
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT