Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Mgf suspension 6 years 8 months ago #179411

Hi gents
I have just bought an mgf with suplex suspension fitted. Ideally I want to combine the suplex springs with Gaz adjustable dampeners. If I reinforce the towers are there any known issues with this?
Many thanks
Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mgf suspension 6 years 8 months ago #179425

:welcome2:
One main issue.

Firstly the gas dampers are much better than the rubbish that suplex supply. Good luck with the Suplex!:yesnod:
HOWEVER, the main issue is adequately reinforcing the rear top mounts. The original set up put very little load through this top mount as the original dampers act in only one direction. So the top mount is single layer sheet metal. i.e. A hole through the inner wing.

The problem being that the stress and load through a double acting damper is much greater than the original mount is capable of taking. The hydragas units took all of the compression forces so the original dampers were just there to control the rebound.

I have a SUPLEX/ gaz damper setup and despite reinforcing the rear top mounts they have cracked twice and had to be repaired.

Reinforcing the mounts just moved the stress points and so the inner wing cracks in different places! I currently have another crack in the nearside mount area!
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re:Mgf suspension 6 years 8 months ago #179459

Thanks David, I have seen the plans used to reinforce the 160 Trophy, is that what you have used? Also are you running the Gaz shocks relatively hard or soft.
Cheers Roger

Re:Mgf suspension 6 years 8 months ago #179463

I used the trophy fittings initially but they were inadequate. The second and third attempts were by welding additional plates to the small turret and to the surrounding area.

I must admit I haven't investigated the whereabouts of the latest crack/ failure as I am losing the will to live!;)
David

Re:Mgf suspension 6 years 8 months ago #179464

Pretty soft! I initially ran the rear dampers at 10 clicks but the mounts still cracked. Currently running at 8 clicks all around.
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: RMC123

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Sp

Re:Mgf suspension 6 years 8 months ago #179476

Pretty soft! I initially ran the rear dampers at 10 clicks but the mounts still cracked. Currently running at 8 clicks all around.

Thanks David,

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT