Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Mould! Need to cover dash and door cards in leather. 7 years 9 months ago #169799

G'day everyone.
I've been off the list for some time, and we have had a shocker of a humid summer here in Far North Queensland Australia.
My 04 TF 160 has developed extensive mould and stained my plastic panels. (cream in colour of course). Honestly the car looks like a Petrie dish.
As such, I'm buggered if I can shift the dark stains, so any advice on what you use in the UK to refurbish your interior once it gets mouldy?
I think I will end up having to either replace the dash and door cards, or line with leather trim panels.
Any suggestions on how and where to source these from?
Thanks in advance. I'm really upset at how bad the car looks as I have spared no money on it, and it's only done 50,000kms.

Best wishes all.

Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mould! Need to cover dash and door cards in leather. 7 years 9 months ago #169801

Hi Ken. :)

This is what we have on mould etc. It's mainly for soft-tops. But your countryman 'Bacchus Craig' also used it down under for good results. Click to view and don't forget the pics mate. Good luck.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re:Mould! Need to cover dash and door cards in leather. 7 years 9 months ago #169806

Hi Leigh.
Thanks mate.
My soft top is fine, it's only the leather and plastic panels.
I'll buy some Dettol and try that, and I think I will buy an industrial fan and have it continually blowing to circulate the air.
I'll sit the car in the sun for the exit three days to try to kill any mould spores, dry it out.
It's always under cover, but it's just such a damp tropical environment here, and I live beside jungle (20 feet away).
Thanks again Leigh.
Ken

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Mould! Need to cover dash and door cards in leather. 7 years 9 months ago #169808

'Bacchus Craig' used renovo cleaner on his. Good luck. :)

Mould! Need to cover dash and door cards in leather. 7 years 9 months ago #169809

I used to get damp inside in the Winter months so I bought a damp collector pad. It has a dot on it that is blue and turn pink when it is losing it's effectiveness. It has worked a treat and I have had no mould or damp since... you simply microwave it for 6 minutes or so to recharge it.

It's like this:

NEW PINGI CAR & CARAVAN DEHUMIDIFIER MOISTURE KILLER ABSORBER REUSABLE
Completed

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: ebay, site kickback link added.

Mould! Need to cover dash and door cards in leather. 7 years 9 months ago #169816

Hi, earlier this year i was away for 2 months and left my car in a garage. When I returned the inside had gone mouldy with white spots on the seats and black spots all over the dash, door cards, etc. I used detol with mould and mildew remover. It worked a treat and apart from smelling like the local swimming pool for a few days it did no harm at all. Fast effective and cheap.

Re:Mould! Need to cover dash and door cards in leather. 7 years 9 months ago #169821

Dettol Mould and Mildew remover works brilliantly! Thank you fellas. I still have reddish brown spots as stains, but the Dettol is great. I ran out, and used another product which guarantees to work, but it was useless. I'll buy another two bottles of Dettol tomorrow and finish the interior, then leave the car open in the sun for the next few days. You're right about the swimming pool effect. Lucky it's a convertible!
Far from 100 percent, but way better than I expected.
I also bought the damp rid tubs, so will keep them in the car and check every few days. I like the idea of the microwaveable units. Might go shopping on eBay.
Thanks again everyone, this site is the best!
Ken

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, cairnsys

Last edit: Post by Baytown.

Re:Mould! Need to cover dash and door cards in leather. 7 years 9 months ago #169829

If the interior is damp it's not enough to leave the car open. It won't dry under the carpet. Remove seats and floor isolation lift the carpet so it can dry (put some stalks under it so it'll stay up from the floor) for a couple of days....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Re:Mould! Need to cover dash and door cards in leather. 7 years 9 months ago #169832

Dettol Mould and Mildew remover works brilliantly!

I've use it on my F in the spring.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.045 seconds