Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Winter projects 9 years 7 months ago #151455

Hi all,

Sorry I've been quite during the summer, been far too busy enjoying the TF and Mini Cooper, having holidays and helping various friends and family.

Anyway the TF is SORNed for the winter and there are a few jobs todo before the new summer season in April.
1) the steering is very vague around dead centre, I've seen comment that this is common on mgf/TF but it's definitely worse than it used to be and scares the wife. The only thing I didn't replace when i did the front subframe was the steering rack, but many of the parts were not OEM so I could have fallen victim to cheap Chinese crap. Also the tyres up front are GD2s, but Toyo's on the rear, am reluctant ant to replace as they have 5mm tread, any pointers?
2) either battery or starter is failing, when the battery is fully charged it turns over, catches and fires up, but there is a definite slow down during the process, and when I did a short journey there wasn't enough juice to start her. Was ok with a bump. The battery is just 5 years old and a good quality Varta one so I'm in two minds as to battery or starter. Any thoughts?
3) I need to get the xpower splitter fitted. Just need to find some who will do it at reasonable cost.

So not a long list but may take some time as I have some other demands on my cash and time.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Winter projects 9 years 7 months ago #151463

Hi all,

Sorry I've been quite during the summer, been far too busy enjoying the TF and Mini Cooper, having holidays and helping various friends and family.

Anyway the TF is SORNed for the winter and there are a few jobs todo before the new summer season in April.
1) the steering is very vague around dead centre, I've seen comment that this is common on mgf/TF but it's definitely worse than it used to be and scares the wife. The only thing I didn't replace when i did the front subframe was the steering rack, but many of the parts were not OEM so I could have fallen victim to cheap Chinese crap. Also the tyres up front are GD2s, but Toyo's on the rear, am reluctant ant to replace as they have 5mm tread, any pointers?

I had the same problem despite getting the wheels aligned..changed the front GSD2s to Toyos..problem solved... :yesnod:
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Argen69

Winter projects 9 years 7 months ago #151470

I had the same problem despite getting the wheels aligned..changed the front GSD2s to Toyos..problem solved... :yesnod:

Thanks FatbaldingOldgit

Last edit: Post by Argen69.

Re:Winter projects 9 years 5 months ago #152966

I spent a couple of hours in the garage yesterday and fixed a few problems.
1) the vague steering turned out to be a loose steering rack. The nyloc nuts have been torqued up, but I will have too keep an eye on it when the car is returned to the road in the spring.
2) A new battery has been fitted and the car now starts more than once without having to recharge the battery :-)

Next jobs/advice please...
A) I noticed the front discs are quite worn, any one know what the minimum thickness is before they need to be changed?
B) do I have to remove the door card to replace the speaker grills?

Re:Winter projects 9 years 5 months ago #152969

Std front discs are 22mm new and 20mm service limit.
AP front discs are 24mm new and 22mm service limit.

If you are laying up for the winter like me fit an isolation switch for the battery; they just bolt in place with no mods to the battery cables (saves having to charge the battery once a month)

Regarding your steering; I see you found the problem but if the sub frames have been off they never go back in exactly the same position due to the elongated slots in the mounts, after re-fitting the frames I had a Hunter 4 wheel alignment done and it made a noticeable difference.

Brian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Argen69, mgtfbluestreak

Re:Winter projects 9 years 5 months ago #152973

Yes door card off for the speaker grills. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Argen69

Re:Winter projects 9 years 5 months ago #152976

If you are laying up for the winter like me fit an isolation switch for the battery; they just bolt in place with no mods to the battery cables (saves having to charge the battery once a month)

Brian.

I'm in two minds on that. If the battery is isolated the alarm will be off.

Winter projects 9 years 5 months ago #152981

Ahh the TF is SORN'd now I fully understand your exceedingly kind offer to park my TF on your drive whilst the building works are going on here. I suppose that's one way of keeping it in use :bat:

Re:Winter projects 9 years 5 months ago #152994

I was offering to protect it from falling roof tiles! But would of course need to move it [at least 10 miles each time ;-)] when I want to get the mini out whilst working in the garage. The offers still open Lol

The following user(s) said Thank You: BarryD

Re:Winter projects 9 years 5 months ago #152995

Yes door card off for the speaker grills. :yesnod:

Great that gives me an excuse to buy those alloy door lock pulls at last!

Re:Winter projects 9 years 5 months ago #153002

:lol:
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT