Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Warning to all Car Diyer's! 9 years 11 months ago #145198

Young lad at work was working with his mate on a Corsa Turbo conversion went in the house to make a cuppa, when he came out found the car sat nicely on top of his mate.

When they dragged the car off him his mate needed CPR, 3 days later the 19 year old was dead.

Now I am always telling this lad to use axle stands as I caught him a few times under the car on a trolley jack (we have all done it)! Turns out he was using axle stands but the fold out space saving variety.

1 stand had decided to fold itself out causing the car to topple on the lad.

Point is only use good quality lifting equipment!

Take care all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter81, Diesel Destroyer, Andy Lawrence, Davem

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Warning to all Car Diyer's! 9 years 11 months ago #145202

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Good warning indeed.

I always use ramps where I can, but good quality axle stands when working under the car.

The ground you work on is important too. Working on soft ground or on the public road where another car could knock yours while you are under it is a no no.

Where you place the axle stands is important too. No good placing them somewhere that can't take the weight.

A young lad will never learn from his mistake, but if others learn from it, it won't be a wasted life.

Warning to all Car Diyer's! 9 years 11 months ago #145205

Horrendous story.
Even with quality axle stands used correctly the car is not guaranteed to stay stable. The work you are doing could cause the car to shift, and ramps are a better option as the car is still sitting on its four wheels.

I'm sure we all have a story to tell about cars coming off jacks/ stands etc.

I am ultra cautious because my work area is not flat. The drive has a noticeable slope and so I tend to use multiple safety features like wheel chocks and extra supports etc.
David
:shrug:

Warning to all Car Diyer's! 9 years 11 months ago #145208

Our ramp with parachutes locking mechanism,there are places nationwide who rent these out at decent daily rates.They do have to be lola inspected periodically so check on certificates.

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by GT MG SPARES LTD.

Warning to all Car Diyer's! 9 years 11 months ago #145251

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
coxy134 I was deeply saddened to read your post. I use pairs of axle stands and after lowering the trolley jack to get the weight of the car on the stands I then leave the trolley jack in place where I can, locked just below the lifting point. I then give the car a push and a pull to make sure there is no movement.

Warning to all Car Diyer's! 9 years 11 months ago #145277

A guy in Swindon died in similar way last year..

Head under rear axle (beam type) and car fell.. axel went through his head.. horrible.. his young son was watching..

I always use stands.. and often leave the trolley jacks (x2) under the car as well.. just in case..

Ive had people lean on the car whilst its up on stands or even rock it to 'see how stable it is' whilst Im under it.. and they wonder why I get up and smack em.. :rant:

Thoughts are with the lad's family..

:(
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Warning to all Car Diyer's! 9 years 11 months ago #145284

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

...I've had people lean on the car whilst its up on stands or even rock it to 'see how stable it is' whilst I'm under it.. and they wonder why I get up and smack em.. :rant:

They deserve a smack and hope you made it a hard smack too :bat:

Speaking of idiots, I was working on the electrics of a building and had removed the fuse from the main fuse box for the circuit I was working on and put a note on the fuse box reading "Do not touch", when in comes another 'tradesmen', squeezes past me working on the wiring and goes to put the fuse in the the fuse box :omg:

"Stop. What the F'in hell do you think you're doing" I say to moron man. He then turns to me with a confused look on his face and says "what's your problem? I need to plug my drill in and the electrics off" :slapme:

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Warning to all Car Diyer's! 9 years 11 months ago #145454

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.

...I've had people lean on the car whilst its up on stands or even rock it to 'see how stable it is' whilst I'm under it.. and they wonder why I get up and smack em.. :rant:

They deserve a smack and hope you made it a hard smack too :bat:

Speaking of idiots, I was working on the electrics of a building and had removed the fuse from the main fuse box for the circuit I was working on and put a note on the fuse box reading "Do not touch", when in comes another 'tradesmen', squeezes past me working on the wiring and goes to put the fuse in the the fuse box :omg:

"Stop. What the F'in hell do you think you're doing" I say to moron man. He then turns to me with a confused look on his face and says "what's your problem? I need to plug my drill in and the electrics off" :slapme:

Soz, but your 'safety system' is completely flawed. If you are working on a dead system then procedures should be in place to physically prevent re-energisation of the circuit being worked on. A lock out system with supporting documentation issued by a suitably qualified and authorised person. Like wot we have in power stations. A Permit to Work system. Why such dingbat behaviour doesn't occur.

And like wot you should be working under via the EAW Regs. Plus CDM regs if a construction site. Mandatory :yesnod: so, you both broke the law.

Piper Alpha disaster occurred due to a 'do not touch' note being placed and subsequently ignored/missed.

And on a car safety related note: take care placing axle props: an old neighbour of mine used to put his under the floor pan....of his Austin 1100..... :pinch:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.

Warning to all Car Diyer's! 9 years 11 months ago #145459

I agree. We used to have safety locks to prevent anyone else accessing the fuse box whilst working on circuits. Mind you I was working on 415 volt systems mainly. :dry:
David
:shrug:

Warning to all Car Diyer's! 9 years 11 months ago #145500

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
25V to 400,000V : the safety principle is the same with electricity.

:spank:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT