Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Retiring but not relaxing! 10 years 2 months ago #140089

Tomorrow is my last day at work as I officially retire on 31 March but have leave to take before then. :woo2: However, I am not going to laze about during my retirement and intend to keep active for as long as I can! Being office-bound for the last 27 years, I have spent most of that time sitting on my behind, so will definitely be much more active.

Over the years my weight has gradually increased and following a health check, I decided I needed to do something more positive, especially as I had been told I was at risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes! I have now been on my weight loss journey since August of last year when I joined Weight Watchers. I had been trying to lose weight all year but without a great deal of success, so decided WW was the way to go. So far I have lost over 3 stones overall but still have a long way to go.

A friend of mine contacted me a few days ago asking if I was interested in joining her for a 10-mile "Pink Ribbonwalk" at Leeds Castle in Kent on 7 June - a sponsored event in aid of Breast Cancer Care. Of course I said I would and am now about to start the 12 weeks of training to prepare myself for this venture! It is many years since I did any kind of serious walking and I am determined to succeed - and lose more weight at the same time! I have set up a JustGiving page for any donations and would be very grateful for any help in reaching my target of £100 - http://www.justgiving.com/Helen-Lister1953 .

Hopefully we will also be able to get out more in the MG and get to some runs this year! :beer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Retiring but not relaxing! 10 years 2 months ago #140092

Reaching retirement must be bitter sweet I reckon. I'm a few years off finding out just yet. 'Good for you' in filling in the work time gaps by keeping yourself purposefully active. I'm feeling a bit guilty and I'm off for a walk myself now. I'll take next doors new dog, it'll make me look less like a stalker. :P

Well done Mrs Wrongway, you've finally made it. :woohoo:

Retiring but not relaxing! 10 years 2 months ago #140099

It would seem you are going the Rightway :yesnod: :yesnod:

Retirement is good :woohoo: it suits me anyway :woohoo:
[IMG]ht[/img]

Retiring but not relaxing! 10 years 2 months ago #140101

I met Mrs Wrongway the other weekend with her chauffeur (Mr Wrongway) :P
Enjoyed a good crack about T300s, Ap brakes and MGs in general. :yesnod:

As far as I'm concerned retirement is sweet sweet! :woohoo:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Retiring but not relaxing! 10 years 2 months ago #140102

Only problem with retirement is...I'ts a full time job with no days off.

I've been retired since September last, bought the TF in October, and seem to have been working on it (and in the garden) ever since.

Still got the MGB V8 to sort out from last year ( and the year before)...I should have packed in work YEARS ago !!!

Retiring but not relaxing! 10 years 2 months ago #140104

Yep those people with jobs don't know how lucky they are to be able to go to work and have break. I do miss the quite times at work :whistle:
[IMG]ht[/img]

Retiring but not relaxing! 10 years 2 months ago #140117

Trouble is when you retire you are your own boss( or the Mrs is) so no bunking off. :nonod:
David
:shrug:

Retiring but not relaxing! 10 years 2 months ago #140119

This question should probably have its own topic. However, it's salient here. So, Mrs Wrongway, do you have a 'bucket list' you're working on and what have you done that's memorable in your life so far please? Other than your charity work and keeping fit and active of course. :)

That's a 'team question' to all members. :yesnod:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Retiring but not relaxing! 10 years 2 months ago #140123

PM me your address i will donate £20 ,well done for taking your time and effort for a very worthy cause.
My wife and family are doing a similiar walk but only 7 miles on march 29th for her cousin who sadly got married last thursday and passed away last saturday aged just 29.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kates-life-story-fightin-terminal-cancer-also-fundraisin-page/275425312617912

Retiring but not relaxing! 10 years 2 months ago #140140

Reaching retirement must be bitter sweet I reckon.

Yes I think you're right, I've got very mixed feelings! :-)

Only problem with retirement is...I'ts a full time job with no days off.

Yes, I'm sure it is - can already think of lots of jobs I need to do!

Yep those people with jobs don't know how lucky they are to be able to go to work and have break. I do miss the quite times at work

LOL, that's very true! Not that we had many quiet times in my office! ;-)

Trouble is when you retire you are your own boss( or the Mrs is) so no bunking off.

Well either way, that's me LOL!

This question should probably have its own topic. However, it's salient here. So, Mrs Wrongway, do you have a 'bucket list' you're working on and what have you done that's memorable in your life so far please? Other than your charity work and keeping fit and active of course.

Can't say I do have a bucket list and can't think of anything memorable I have done so far! I have been taking part in "Wear it Pink" for Breast Cancer for quite a few years now and enjoy finding new things to wear each year. ;-)

PM me your address i will donate £20 ,well done for taking your time and effort for a very worthy cause.
My wife and family are doing a similiar walk but only 7 miles on march 29th for her cousin who sadly got married last thursday and passed away last saturday aged just 29.

OK will do - unless the link in my original post is easier. Good luck with your walk and sorry to hear about your wife's cousin, that is really sad.

Retiring but not relaxing! 10 years 2 months ago #140142

I have to commend the effort you put in to answer all those posts. :)

Although, you do have too much time on your hands nowadays. :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrsWrongway

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Retiring but not relaxing! 10 years 2 months ago #140150

Thanks Leigh Ping - I always try to answer everyone and hopefully not miss anyone out! :-) Also, I know some forums don't like separate posts for each reply - found out the hard way on one forum! - so I try to remember to only do one post and 'insert' quotes.

As for time on my hands.... not had much chance to find out yet! :D

Hmmm, looks like some posts were missed somehow :oops: Looking below now it seems not all posts are listed when replying?

Last edit: Post by MrsWrongway.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT