Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

leaking inlet manifold ?? 10 years 9 months ago #124219

Hi all
Am I right in thinking my inlet manifold gasket (manifold is alloy) is leaking ?Coolant loss (quite rapid now, after new coolant cap fitted) also when starting from cold it has irregular and lumpy tickover. I have a good forum member coming over soon to with diagnostic reader to see if I have any other problems or faults but like to cure this leak asap
PLEASE HELP

Please Log in to join the conversation.

leaking inlet manifold ?? 10 years 9 months ago #124223

It's unusual but not unheard of for the gasket on an alloy manifold to fail. (More usual with the plastic jobbie.)
A little water leaking into one cylinder will give those symptoms. Whip the plugs out, if one looks suspiciously clean...

Of course there are other ways :( for water to get into cylinders...
David
:shrug:

leaking inlet manifold ?? 10 years 9 months ago #124230

Hi David
I cant see any mayo mix anywhere. Any other suggestions.Please

leaking inlet manifold ?? 10 years 9 months ago #124231

A rapid loss of coolant is usually a leaking pipe rather than inlet manifold. How are your underfloor pipes? Radiator? Coolant hoses? Water pump?-
David

leaking inlet manifold ?? 10 years 9 months ago #124233

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
I had a leaky manifold it just as Russell said "pi5£ing out" took the expert just over am hour to sort it and do some fiddling with the T4 computer.

Looked a easy job to do as an observer but..... Don't drop a bolt down the inlet pipe or you'll be fishing with a magnet and it might turn up on the floor by magic.

The seal gasket cistsw about 12 quid. Take the ikd one off the scrape it with a scraper then use some wet n dry with wd40 on to scrub the remnants of old gasket off. Fit the new one and then jobs a good un. Remember to torque it up to the right setting or it will leak again. Good luck .

leaking inlet manifold ?? 10 years 9 months ago #124236

Thanks Ben
Was it the alloy manifold ?
Im going to check all pipes, fitting, etc first. As David mention.You wouldn't happen to know the torque settings

leaking inlet manifold ?? 10 years 9 months ago #124240

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
Yeah it was the manifold. Whoever did the head gasket before me didnt tighten it up properly russell said.

The torque settings will be in the manual somewhere or one of these clever fellas will sort you out. I watched with amazement. The order of events were:

Engine cover off
airbox unclipped and moved out of the way
throttle body thing moved to the side this gave a good view of the manifold
then a bit of magical nut removing at the offending part was in view it had perished so this is why it was leaking bit style. I was loosing about half a expansion cap full when the car was idling. And my car was revving like a kangaroo big style.

Russell said as the inlet was leaking it also was letting air in so this is why it was causing random revvyness.

He was right, a clever man.

I didnt cost me a fortune for a russell visit if you can't be arsed, it least it will be done proper.

leaking inlet manifold ?? 10 years 9 months ago #125549

Guys,

I have discovered I have the leaking plastic inlet manifold problem. Can anybody confirm if the alloy manifold will go on a Mark 1 F and is there any sensor or wiring changes required? I understand that the Mark 1 and 2 inlet wiring "could" be different and impact whether this is a straight swap or something more complex. :-?

Thanks

TB

leaking inlet manifold ?? 10 years 9 months ago #125550

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
Pqd 44 was after a mk2 one to replace his mk1 one if in doubt ring Russell he will tell you in 2 mins

leaking inlet manifold ?? 10 years 9 months ago #125558

Inlet manifold to cylinder head torque settings are
VVC 25 Nm
MPI 17 Nm
Work to live don't live to work.

leaking inlet manifold ?? 10 years 9 months ago #125560

The only possible problem would be if you have a separate IAT sensor (green sensor under the throttle body area). Most of the alloy 135 manifolds have the combined map/IAT sensor. You can get alloy ones with the separate IAT and Map sensor.

At worst you would need to drill and tap a hole in the alloy manifold for the sensor.
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

leaking inlet manifold ?? 10 years 9 months ago #125583

OK, think i will need the manifold with separate sensors as i don't need a MAP sensor due to using emerald and want to retain original wiring.

N

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT