Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Plastic ramps 10 years 9 months ago #124040

I'm easing into doing all the jobs my TF needs and started this weekend with a gearbox oil change. Judging by what came out its the first time in its 9 year life.

No that's not coke in that lemonade bottle :omg:

I needed some ramps the MG could manage as putting it on 4 stands seems a lot of hassle for jobs with the wheels still on and I feel safer with ramps. I also still harbour ideas of buying another Range Rover Classic so need something capable of over 2 tons. I decided to give these a go.

Thought I'd share that with you as I've not seen plastic ramps mentioned anywhere else though they seem popular in the US. I was a bit sceptical of the strength but they seem very solid with not so much as a squeak or creak. They are also much easier to drive up than the metal rail type ramps.

Now one quick question for you all. What type of coolant is this in my car? I thought it was supposed to be pink or green? ;)

That's what I took out to swap the expansion tank. I could bring myself to put it back in. No prizes for guessing what next weekends job will be.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Plastic ramps 10 years 9 months ago #124045

Doesn't look to be much antifreeze in there. :nonod:
Flush it and replace with OAT. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Plastic ramps 10 years 9 months ago #124047

Might thoughts exactly David. Looks very rust coloured considering its an aluminium engine. Off to the autofactors for some OAT tomorrow.

Now I'm wondering about the condition of my underfloor pipes, they look reasonable but have a few bubbles under the paint work.

Plastic ramps 10 years 9 months ago #124049

Haven't seen plastic ramps before but sound like a good idea if they are easier to drive up compared to metal ones.

Plastic ramps 10 years 9 months ago #124053

Could you tell me where you found the ramps please? I have metal ones which are OK for the rear wheels but I can't use them at the front because the stops are too high and would catch the bumper.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Plastic ramps 10 years 9 months ago #124057

Might thoughts exactly David. Looks very rust coloured considering its an aluminium engine. Off to the autofactors for some OAT tomorrow.

Now I'm wondering about the condition of my underfloor pipes, they look reasonable but have a few bubbles under the paint work.

Set of SS underfloor pipes from Mr Maltby?:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Plastic ramps 10 years 9 months ago #124059

The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Plastic ramps 10 years 9 months ago #124215

Hi when I looked for oat it was £24 per 5lts but you can get some thing called 4 live on ebay for £19.50 and it is better than oat
1/ boiling point 160c
2/ changers colour if head gasket starts to leak
3/ keeps water pump in good order
4/ does not contain water so no rust
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Plastic ramps 10 years 9 months ago #124287

That 4 life sounds like the stuff Evans sell for 3 times the price. I'm not sure how happy I'd be putting coolant off eBay in my car though unless it was a reputable company I'd heard of before. I've had a few too many fakes from there.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.058 seconds