Sign In   Register

Topic

why do you live there? .............. 11 years 3 months ago #101358

Sussex born and bred. Always lived in the 15 miles or so between Worthiing and Brighton.
Brighton too expensive for me at the moment so now rent in Worthing. Sleepier town and much cheaper.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

why do you live there? .............. 11 years 3 months ago #101367

As I seem to have been the root cause of this thread, I think I had better chip in.

I was born in Carlisle, as was Sheila. We lived in a lovely terraced Georgian House, internally immaculate, with all modern conveniences, and with pleasant neighbours either side. It was 5 minutes to work for both of us and 10 minutes to walk to the city centre.
Then the neighbours from Hell moved in next door.:nonod: Screaming arguments between the parents, screaming out-of- control kids etc. :slapme: :bang:
After a couple of months I declared we had to move before I was arrested for murder.:lol:

Our house sold to the first people to see it and we agreed to buy a DETACHED property just north of the city. All was rosy until we were gazumped and suddenly were left with the real prospect of being homeless!:omg: :rant:

We rapidly searched through the houses available and decided through desperation to put a bid in on the cottage in Aiketgate. It was a tip and needed a lot of work, but we knew the owners also wanted a quick sale. We got it for 5000 less than we were going to pay for the other property and 10000 less than the original asking price.

We knew nothing about the village, apart from the fact that I had driven through the village a few times when working!

The first night we spent sleeping on a mattress on the living room floor, because the bed wouldn't go up the stairs! Sheila was in tears at "leaving her beautiful home for this tip!" The next day I had to cut the divan base in half to get a bed in the bedroom!

NOW, we love the village and the area. Yes, it gets cut off if it snows, there's no shop, pub, telephone box or any other amenity in the village, but the residents are lovely, everyone will help everyone else, it's peaceful, totally rural and I can see the Lake District mountains out of the windows. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

why do you live there? .............. 11 years 3 months ago #101370

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Sounds larrrvely

why do you live there? .............. 11 years 3 months ago #101371

It is...
David
:shrug:
Attachments:

why do you live there? .............. 11 years 3 months ago #101373

I was born in Australia but brought-up in Lincolnshire. I joined the RAF straight from school and then spent the next 32 and a bit years moving around including 12 years total living in the Netherlands, Germany & Belgium. It was the RAF that introduced us both to Scotland and when it came to settle down we decided somewhere on the Scottish East Coast was what we wanted. I have a theory that as well as South & North, we divide in to East & West too.

After some searching we ended-up on the Black Isle (neither black nor an island) which you reach by driving north over the Kessock Bridge from Inverness. The attractions....well the sailing is great, the dog walking is great, the locals are great, the village is great (pub, PO, shop, tea room, garage, surgery, bus route) and Inverness is a 10 - 15 minute drive away and has all the amenities.

Here is a shot I took this morning while dog walking...our house is somewhere near the centre of the picture.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
Attachments:

why do you live there? .............. 11 years 3 months ago #101377

We currently live in a small town just north of Munich. We live in the centre of town and it's 2 miles walk/ride to work at the big uni campus, and the underground is 2 minutes walk away for when I'm too lazy/tired/hungover/it's snowing to be energetic. It's also only 20-25 minutes in to the centre of Munich on the underground, and easy to get straight on the autobahn when we want to get out of town. Only downside is no garage, just a parking space in the big underground carpark that serves 4 buildings.

In NZ, our house is in west Auckland, 25-30 minutes drive from the city but in native bush. We'd been looking for a while trying to find somewhere in the bush, relatively flat, big garage and enough space to turn around our car trailer. We got that, and it even had a 4-bedroom house attached as well. The only thing we didn't quite manage was a view, but that'll be the next place.
96 MGF 1.8i: Project Rally Car
98 MGF Abingdon" 285H cams, modded head etc
87 MG Metro: 1440cc fast road car
88 MG Metro Turbo
70 MG Midget: 1.9L VVC + supercharger + RWD = YEEHAA!
72 MGBGT: Project Speed 6 MGB
05 MG ZT-T 260: wife's sensible car
01 MG ZS 180: LHD, for driving around Germany in

why do you live there? .............. 11 years 3 months ago #101381

I was born in Liverpool were I stayed for 28 yrs then got married and move out of Liverpool south to a place called Elton 1/2 ml from the M56 Stayed there for 5 yrs then move to Helsby A56 to a new build been here now 35 yrs we moved to Helsby because it has loads of lanes you can walk including the Sandstone trail and the weather is clemant as the N Welsh hills protect us from the south winds
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Last edit: Post by helsbyman.

why do you live there? .............. 11 years 3 months ago #101383

What do you do when you were born of British parents in Rhodesia, and then dragged off to South Africa? In my case you develop a passion for British classics, MGs in particular, convince the better half that the grass is actually greener on the other side of the Equator and move to the UK. We left behind sunshine, surf and beaches, mountains, vineyards, etc. with few regrets and would never go back now, although this Winter the thought of being in Cape Town did rear its head once or twice...

Chester was an accidental choice resulting from a job move from Portsmouth 14 years ago, but it could have been anywhere given family connections in various parts of the UK.

why do you live there? .............. 11 years 3 months ago #101386

I've lived in Accrington most of my life mainly because it's where my Mum and Dad ended up moving to when I was four.
I know there are far nicer places and most people want to leave including me,but I am happy living here.The countryside is a five minute walk from my house and the town centre is five minutes the other way.
The house has been paid up for a few years now and my son's not far off going to uni so a move may be on the cards soon,but I'm in no hurry.

Five minutes up the road

why do you live there? .............. 11 years 3 months ago #101400

It is...

My sister has a cottage just down from you in Kirkoswald fantastic little village and good pub.lovely part of the world.
I live in a village( but getting bigger ) west of leicester called Ratby moved here about 15 years ago good schools 3 pubs and coop shop dont have to go out of village if you dont want to.Should be mortgage free in 22 months not that im counting.Might move within the village at some point when kids are older and i cant manage the stairs.
Paul

why do you live there? .............. 11 years 3 months ago #101449

moved out of surrey due to house prices needed to upgrade to a house from my flat and find a better school for the kids

so sold my 2 bedroom flat in surrey for 200k and bought my 2 bed house in sussex with 70ft rear garden 20+ ft front garden plus garage for 185k

bit of a no brainer really especiallt with the school stats ( old school pass rate c grade and above 35% new school 83%)

Freestyle and TF for Sale Mk1 work in progress, well it never stops does it lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

why do you live there? .............. 11 years 3 months ago #101451

I lived in the same mining village I was born in until our youngest was born and we wanted more space than our little end of terrace.
We moved a few miles across the motorway to another little mining village with the best primary school in the area and bought a big detached Victorian detached project. 7 years later the inside is finished... And our third child is due in the next few weeks.
I hate cities, busy places and people. My ideal house would be in the middle of nowhere, on the moors or something.

Supercover has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Social hand grenades don't exist. ;)

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT