Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Attended Service 11 years 10 months ago #53237

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/shell-brings-attended-service-110500537.html

Handy in the winter when the rain is sheeting horizontally across the forecourt .

There are still the odd 'country' garages that still offer this service.
I pulled up at one between Tavistock and Okehampton and the guy seemed quite miffed that I had started to fill up as it was his job to offer 'attended' service.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Attended Service 11 years 10 months ago #53239

we have one in the village where i used to live, the garage is up for sale though, I bet they dont keep the service up

Re: Attended Service 11 years 10 months ago #53285

In the city where I live attendants are mandatory. When self-serve stations first appeared city council mandated that only full service stations were allowed, saving a few low-paying jobs. This is still the case although where the attendants used to be mainly teenage boys there are now many older gents pumping gas (petrol!) along with a growing number of young women, some of whom are quite attractive. ;)
They do let the customer do his own filling if requested though, which is a good thing as my MGF is the only one they have ever seen and I am sure they would lose my filler cap in short order. Having the driver on the "wrong" side of the car confuses them enough!

Re: Attended Service 11 years 10 months ago #53293

Unless they've changed policy recently there's a small garage in Moseley, Birmingham that still has a pump attendants.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Attended Service 11 years 10 months ago #53298

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
After buying my first car I went to the nearest garage and said the words I'd always dreamt of saying ....'Fill'er up!' :yesnod:

Well the car was nearly on empty and my joy was gradually replaced by terror as I watched the cost ticking over towards my weekly wage :omg:

As it approached the total amount of cash I had on me I was about to bottle out and say that'll do when it clicked loudly and the attendant returned the hose to the pump.

Well it was a long time before I repeated those words :slapme:

Re: Attended Service 11 years 10 months ago #53304

i'm with you on that one Paul and you have made me have a good laugh now thanks :beer:

Re: Attended Service 11 years 10 months ago #53310

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Those were the days eh :whistle:

Re: Attended Service 11 years 10 months ago #53386

We stopped at a motorway service area in Italy the other day for a coffee and cigarette break (yes you can smoke outside the shop at these places).

They had an attendant!
On the motorway!
In 2012!

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Attended Service 11 years 10 months ago #53390

I stopped at the Shell services on the M20 just before the tunnel back in April on my way to Antwerp. A very attractive young lady in hi-vis vest (and other attire, of course, not just the vest) approached me and asked if I needed assistance. At this stage I suddenly remembered I was probably old enough to be her father, and add to which she was probably looking at me and the red TF and thinking "mid-life crisis" so I smiled and said "thanks, but I'll manage".

In fairness, I got an email from Shell via the Vpower Driver's Club asking if I had been satisfied with the service I'd received when filling up.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT