• Page:

Topic

RHD LHD conversion and pictures of body stucture 7 years 11 months ago #168329

• tnjk's Avatar Topic Author
  • tnjk
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Hi,
In searching the source of my water leaks from under the wiper area, I discovered this site.
It is about LHD to RHD conversion, but in that process the MG is stripped, showing nice pictures of the body structure at the front
http://www.wedgeparts.com/mgflhd.html

It helps in analyzing where water leaks can be.
I try to avoid this kind of stripping.
When you look at http://www.wedgeparts.com/LHDproject/DSCF1504web.jpg you see at the top on the right 2 pieces of metal plates are spot welded together, just above the large round hole.
This is an area I suspect from leaking water, there seem to be pre-made water drainage holes next to the spot welds, but I am not quite sure water cannot get in there.

The usual suspects are the sealings around the 2 large holes for the heater and the one next to it. I have made these watertight (I think) by putting a thick layer of Mike Sanders Fett in the entire bulkhead area (heat it before applying), and with your finger make sure to cover all grommets and the base of the snorkel. However, didn'd help, still leaks when pooring water in the bulkhead area. The water is leaking inside, running over the wheel arch.
Mike Sanders Fett is really good stuff for areas where there is constant water, the disadvantage is that you have to heat it before applying, and when you need to repair something, in the treated area, your hands are covered in grease. It doesn' t run off, also not on a hot summer day. Really good for bulkheads, the edges where door seals are pushed on, under the weather strips etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

RHD LHD conversion and pictures of body stucture 1 year 2 months ago #201154

• Visitor
  • Visitor
What was the actual cause of he leak i wonder. This says what was tried and failed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT