Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

How to fit a new seat cushion cover 10 years 2 months ago #138936

There is little doubt that the easiest way to change your seat cushion is to change the whole seat (5 bolts, one snap connector - job done) and this could even be the most economical solution too if you stay close enough to the seat supplier that you can call and collect.

I've taken a different route with my driver's seat and for all sorts of reasons too tedious to go into here decided to replace the cushion cover. Just in case someone else is similarly minded I've posted some photos of how to do it below.

David wrote a great guide to seat removal here:
http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/21-aiketgates-guides/16681-the-seats-how-to-remove-and-refit
(NB do disconnect the battery first for 20 minutes to remove the risk of the pre-tensioner firing).

His guide here on how to dismantle the seat and remove covers is equally useful and is here:
http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/21-david-aiketgates-guides/16625-heated-seats-how-to-fit-heat-pads

So now for my bit - the fitting of a new cushion cover. You will need at least 16 cable ties, a couple of pairs of long nosed pliers, a small pointed knife and some side cutters (and a new cover of course).

The old cover is all that holds the foam to the seat frame so it's easy to have a good clean around (and to fit lowering springs) when the cover is off:

There is a layer of something very like garden fleece between the foam and the base that needs to be put back in place first:

The underside of the foam has shapes in which helps it locate back in the base:

Before you put the foam back though it's worth putting your cable ties in (these will replace the hog clips). There are 5 ties needed along each side and 3 ties in each of the cross fittings (there are 2 cross fittings):

With the foam back on the base it's time to start with the cover. The cover has long plastic channels at the back, each side and the front which clip to the frame. It also has bars along each outerside and cross ways in 2 places that marry-up with the cable ties and are essential for a good shape.

Start at the back of the seat by clipping in the rear of the cover:

Fitted here:

Then work from the back of the seat to the front fitting the cable ties in pairs along the sides and the cross bars when you reach them. You will need to make a hole in the cover bar fitting for the cable tie and try to judge where the bar will be when everying is tight. To give yourself a margin for error, it's best to postion the cable tie mid-in the foam (it can slide back & forth a few mm). I found the easiest way was to use a small and pointed knife to make the hole and guide the tie:

Feed the ties through as a pair left and right and when both are threaded, pull tight, cut off the excess and push the joint back in to the foam:

To be continued......
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, DavesZed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to fit a new seat cushion cover 10 years 2 months ago #138937

Carrying on then...

Here is the first cable tie tidied away:

The cross bars are a bit easier as the holes for the cable ties are already in the cover. Fit all 3 ties before tightening, cutting & tidying away:

Eventually you get to your last cable tie:

Now it is 'simply' a matter of attaching each side clip to the frame and then the front clip.

The side clips a quite easy to fit...as you fit them you naturally pull the cover in to shape:

The front clip will require a bit of grunt. There is quite a bit of tension to over come. Also you do not want to break this clip. I found that the best way was to 'squish' the front of the cushion while pushing up the clip in the centre until it went over the frame (if you've seen 'Made in Dagenham' you will be convinced after this that it is at least semi-skilled labour):

Results in the next post...
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, DavesZed

How to fit a new seat cushion cover 10 years 2 months ago #138939

So this is the underside of the finished cushion:

Here is a top view:

And finally the reassembled seat ready to fit back in to the car:

So I've an as new Ash Mirage driver's seat. Given the popularity of changing seats to leather, I gather these are really rare!

Richard

PS, if you've read this far you need to get out more.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Leigh Ping, KentJohn, Davem, DavesZed

Last edit: Post by Blow-in. Reason: typo

How to fit a new seat cushion cover 10 years 2 months ago #138967

Superb guide Richard. Making them is a discipline that you most certainly have mastered. :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

How to fit a new seat cushion cover 10 years 2 months ago #139002

:beer:
Great guide there bud. I also used David's How-To when I changed my drivers seat back material last year and was very impressed in how easy it was :woohoo: :drive:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

How to fit a new seat cushion cover 10 years 2 months ago #139004

. You will need at least 16 cable ties, a couple of pairs of long nosed pliers, a small pointed knife and some side cutters.

To be continued......

phew. thought i was going to have a to rent a spaniel from somewhere. :woowoo:

excellent guide! :beer:

How to fit a new seat cushion cover 10 years 2 months ago #139006

. You will need at least 16 cable ties, a couple of pairs of long nosed pliers, a small pointed knife and some side cutters.

To be continued......

phew. thought i was going to have a to rent a spaniel from somewhere. :woowoo:

excellent guide! :beer:

The Spaniel is there in a supervisory role - as she keeps telling me she's a gun dog not a working dog.

Richard

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT