Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Alarm/Battery/Immobiliser???? Car not working! 11 years 1 month ago #111596

Hello all,

I bought an 02 plate MGZR a couple of weeks ago and have just insured it. I went out to drive it this morning and the battery was flat (it hadn't been driven very much when I bought it, about 10 miles or so in the last year as was a 'Sunday' car). I have since tried to jump start it when the alarm went off and would then not stop until my boyfriend disconnected the battery completely. I am concerned I have somehow locked the immobilizer/alarm and that now, even if I do get a new battery for it (which it needs as the battery indicator button thing on the top of the battery was clear in colour), it won't work. Can anybody help me with this? I have been Googling for the past hour and have read a load of stories about EKA codes- despite having the car from new, the old owner doesn't have the code. However, I am not keen on the possibility of this happening over and over again, and would rather remove the alarm system (and tell my insurance accordingly, anticipating the price hike) but unsure as to how this would work, or indeed IF it would. Really want to drive my new car and feeling very worried it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to sort this problem out!!!!

Any help MUCH appreciated!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Alarm/Battery/Immobiliser???? Car not working! 11 years 1 month ago #111599

I know nothing about ZRs but it's possible the battery in the fob is flat too.
Does it operate the central locking?
David
:shrug:

Alarm/Battery/Immobiliser???? Car not working! 11 years 1 month ago #111600

Hello there

Thanks for your reply- the central locking is working from the fobs but is sporadic, however, I have two fobs and neither of them seem to have had any effect on the alarm...

Alarm/Battery/Immobiliser???? Car not working! 11 years 1 month ago #111602

First thing I would do is change the battery in one fob. When you reconnect the main car battery you may have to press unlock a number of times before it stops the alarm. One symptom of a failing fob battery is that you need to be closer and closer to the car to get it to work.

If the alarm works like my 51 MGF, then it sounds the horn. So disconnect the horn before you reconnect the main battery.
David

Alarm/Battery/Immobiliser???? Car not working! 11 years 1 month ago #113151

Thanks to all for your advice. The battery is now on and the alarm is fine..... For now! Have come across another problem now though- flat tyre and no wheel nut key- any ideas? Will the universal locking nut key you can get from halfords do the job? Or has anyone got an idea of how much it will cost me to replace all the nuts- garage quoted me 120 quid yesterday!

Alarm/Battery/Immobiliser???? Car not working! 11 years 1 month ago #113156

Find an old socket that is slightly too small and hammer it on to the locking nut if you have any old imperial ones knocking about see if you have one that will do as you will be unlikely to miss it
As to £120 they are taking the p'ss

Last edit: Post by midlife martyr.

Alarm/Battery/Immobiliser???? Car not working! 11 years 1 month ago #113158

Okay wicked, thanks! I think they thought I'd jump at the offer as a young female with no clue about cars... Any clue what it might cost for me to get the nuts replaced completely, or is this a job I can do myself/get a mate to do?

Alarm/Battery/Immobiliser???? Car not working! 11 years 1 month ago #113161

From replacing the wheel locking wheel nuts because of no key why are you changing the rest as it is not nessecary to replace them all
also have a good look in the car as the key may be there but hidden a common place is in the boot just below the lock

Alarm/Battery/Immobiliser???? Car not working! 11 years 1 month ago #113164

I suppose it's to avoid the hassle of this situation again if I just get normal nuts put on. Am going to have a proper rekky for the key- and am definitely not going to that garage again! Worth buying a universal locked nut key or probably not? Think the boyf may be perturbed to get his tools damaged but sounds like an infinitely more sensible idea than paying 120 big ones for the garage to do i!

Alarm/Battery/Immobiliser???? Car not working! 11 years 1 month ago #113167

Point the BF in the direction of this How to I did.

You could buy him a new socket if he damages his. Probably cost £115 less than the garage quote!

There's also an ebay link in there to a complete set of new wheel nuts for £16.99
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT