Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hello from sunny Wiltshire 2 years 9 months ago #196254

Just checking in to say hello.

I'd been browsing the usual suspect places for a cheap summer convertible but everything I was finding was either miles away, a rusty wreck (or most often both!)
I hadn't totally settled on an MG (I was looking at MX5 and Z4 as well) but a few days ago I saw an eBay listing for a car that threatened scrappage if it wasn't sold by Monday.

Checking the MOT history I could see nothing seriously offputting, so had a chat with the seller (a garage who'd taken it in px against a Range Rover so just wanted rid) and then negotiated a price we were both happy with.

I grabbed a train down there this morning to be greeted by an obviously currently unloved car, filthy dirty but importantly showing all the signs of being well cared for in the past - a huge history file, 4 matching Toyo proxes, only 2 owners from new etc etc.

A quick dose of tax and a handover of cash and I was on my way home.

So what have I bought?

A 2004 (53) MGTF 135 
93k miles
MOT until Dec
history shows prior head gasket and recent lower arms and sill welding

As with all used cars there are a few things to fix though.

Cambelt last changed in 2016 so that's overdue
blowers only work on speed 3 and 4
Throttle pedal is "sticky" feels like it doesn't depress / release smoothly
it's utterly filthy inside and needs a good polish outside too

Mostly it just needs driving lol

Anyway, I've rattled on enough, sure I'll have more to ask as I've never owned one of these before.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pic added

Hello from sunny Wiltshire 2 years 9 months ago #196255

Hi and     to the forum from John in Yorkshire .  Well done in saving another from the breakers yard , I'm sure you will enjoy your new purchase .
I know it is probably not high on your list of jobs to do but , the throttle sticking is something I have tackled on my TF recently . Now I know that I should have diagnosed the problem before I bought a new cable but as with most things I let my heart rule my head . As you can imagine I had mixed feelings when I removed the pedal from the car to release the cable and found that the cable was as free as a bird . Inspecting the pedal assembly I noticed that there is a couple of white nylon bushes that the pedal pivots on . These bushes were actually stuck to the pivots on both sides . I had to carefully knock the bushes out and then clean off what was black paint from the pedal assembly . Unfortunately I didn't take the all important photos of the offending item but the job of freeing off what was a very jerky accelerator pedal was quite easy compared to removing and threading in a new cable . The car is totally different to drive now the pedal is free so, just make sure you don't make my mistake.            

John 
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135, Andy661

Hello from sunny Wiltshire 2 years 9 months ago #196256

Thanks John, both for the welcome and for the advice.
Once the overdue belt is taken care of, I think the sticky throttle is my next priority, I just took a mate out in it for a quick demo run and it really does make moderating the throttle in traffic quite tough.

I just couldn't see the car go to a breaker, it just "spoke" to me!

Hello from sunny Wiltshire 2 years 9 months ago #196261

Welcome to the Forum Derekmines

Last edit: Post by psymon.

Hello from sunny Wiltshire 2 years 9 months ago #196264

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
Hi Derek, welcome aboard!

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Hello from sunny Wiltshire 2 years 9 months ago #196271

:welcome2: 
David
:shrug:

Hello from sunny Wiltshire 2 years 9 months ago #196281

Hi and welcome to the forum

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Hello from sunny Wiltshire 2 years 9 months ago #196345

Thanks all for the welcome. Did the first little job today, using one of the guides on this forum I changed the blower resistor and now have 4 working fan speeds instead of the 2 I had before!
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, sworkscooper

Hello from sunny Wiltshire 2 years 9 months ago #196349

Welcome to the TF fold. I'm probably not far from you as I'm in Somerset near Radstock. I've changed my timing belt a couple of times and I've got a flywheel locking tool if you want to borrow it, message me if you want to meet up and talk TFs.

Hello from sunny Wiltshire 2 years 3 months ago #198235

Hello from Wiltshire too!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT