Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Potential new owner 6 years 10 months ago #178375

Hi I was hoping to get some advice on buying an MGF

The missus will be staring a new job in a few months and will likely need her own car to commute in, she wants something small and stylish and the MGF is looking like a good match for her as well as fitting my preference for keeping almost classic cars going.

I used to work on Minis Metros and Rover 200s in my youth so I know the brand and engines quite well but I don't know much about the model so I was wondering;

Is there much difference in the MGF and MG TF especially in practicality/cost and performance??
Is the VVC engine really free bhp? looks like it on paper, or this there extra running cost reliability issues to consider?
Also I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the autobox? The missus currently uses my cars and now used to autos. On paper it does not look a good option, and its not the type of car I would expect to be an auto, but I would be interested in some 'real world' experience of it?

And of course any buying tips...

Many Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Potential new owner 6 years 10 months ago #178376

Hi, welcome aboard,

If you have done Metros and 200s then not much on an F or TF will surprise you. The main choice you have between the F and TF apart from the restyled looks is suspension, the F is running the Metro type hydrolastic where the TF has a more conventional set up. If you are thinking future classic the the F is the way to go in my opinion, but I am biased as an F owner.

The VVC has extra belts and cams ect so when it comes to replacement times can be higher cost and can be a bit rattly if not serviced correctly, both my Fs have been MPis and still have plenty of power, particularly if you are looking for a potential daily runner, you don't want the back end stepping out in the winter!

Never had a stepspeed so I will await somebody else's answer on that one, but they do have the F1 style flappy paddles so look fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: la_guillotine

Potential new owner 6 years 10 months ago #178378

Hi and welcome to The-T-Bar.

I remain convinced, as I was when I bought my 135 TF, that the VVC is probably not worth the bother (unless you really want the absolute maximum performance from your MG). They are generally more expensive to buy, cost more to maintain and potentially have more to go wrong. The 135 is plenty quick enough for most legal driving, particularly if you wind up the revs a bit. I suspect that the VVC will only really unleash its fury at very high revs - The red line is at 7,250RPM.

As for the F Steptronic and TF Stepspeed, I have no experience although I know someone who has had one for a few years and it has given him no trouble. There is an interesting article on this here .

Good luck in your search :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: la_guillotine

Potential new owner 6 years 10 months ago #178379

Thanks, I was thinking why not a VVC, but it sounds like its not needed and i do like simple things!

Also I forgot to ask about the hard top, looks like a good idea in the UK or is the soft top waterproof/durable enough leaving the hard top with a storage problem??

Potential new owner 6 years 10 months ago #178383

Also I forgot to ask about the hard top, looks like a good idea in the UK or is the soft top waterproof/durable enough leaving the hard top with a storage problem??

Once you find the right car I will sell you my hard top that's been in the garage for six years wasting space! the soft tops are pretty good, and if its a nice day in mid winter you can drop it in seconds (personally mine rarely goes up) The hard top is best done with two persons due to its bulk, I can do mine on my own but its risky. They do take up a lot of storage space when not on the car as well.

on a positive note they sit slightly higher, so more head room, they are very cosey and it feels like a different car with it on.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Potential new owner 6 years 10 months ago #178386

I had a Steptronic F for a couple of years and it gave me no problems but, any Steptronic would now be that much older. It was good to drive but I do prefer a manual box.
I find the 135 quick enough for normal driving and it has a good range within the gears to allow for easy around town driving.
Bob

Potential new owner 6 years 10 months ago #178393

Buy a blue one.:beer:
Attachments:

Potential new owner 6 years 10 months ago #178399

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The ride of the F is similar to that of the metro as they use the same design suspension, a popular metty upgrade is F suspension spheres.
The TF before the MY05 had much harsher more sports car suspension.
As a daily driver I'd go for the F.

Both my wife and I regularly use our mk1 VVC f and or ZR160 VVC as daily drivers.

Apart from better fuel economy, cheaper insurance, ABS and EPAS and that little bit of extra oomph I wouldn't bother with a VVC,
yes, the more powerful model is cheaper run and insure.

Some love their hardtops, personally I used one for a few months until I replaced the hood before moving it around the garden for 5 years and then selling it.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Potential new owner 6 years 10 months ago #178762

Thanks all we picked up a '98 VVC last weekend and as it came with the hard roof I had a long drive home in a controvertible on a sunny day with the hard roof on, 3hrs of sweating only to find out the next day it also has A/C! Never expected that....

N.B. I still think its great fun to drive

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT