Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Fuel smell 6 years 11 months ago #178223

I wonder if anyone can help, I posted earlier (I think), I have a smell of fuel I'm the cab, not very strong, I have found no obvious leaks and no change in performance. I have a 96 f 1.8 vvc. Any thoughts?

:welcome: I'm pretty sure that someone else with this issue, a long while back, tracked it down to being the fuel filter. Replacing it cured the smell of petrol in the cab, at least for him. Good luck.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fuel smell 6 years 11 months ago #178225

Just had the same problem with my TF. Problem declared itself with a puddle of petrol beneath car - under the fuel cap side. There is a return pipe? which empties into the upper portion of the fuel tank filler pipe that had come adrift! Possibly leaking before that & hence the smell. It is just visible with the boot open but to replace / re-attach best to take out the engine cover / rear shelf.
Can not tell if cured problem as alternator has packed it in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Fuel smell 6 years 11 months ago #178242

Apart from the obvious fuel line leaks or overfueling, the usual suspects for phantom fuel smells are the filler cap seal and/or the various connections to the fuel tank.

Remove the round cover underneath the rear carpet(4 bolts). Check for leaks in there where the fuel pump is fitted.

Replacement of the fuel pump can give rise to fuel smells because the annular locking ring is such a pig to tighten.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT